The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sport Mirror Problem (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=181353)

Green Machine 11-27-2005 11:09 PM

Sport Mirror Problem - Help !

Bought a pair of repro sport mirrors for our 70 C10. Did a trial fit/measure up before drilling any holes, driver side will be fine. Passenger side measures about 8 inches back from front of door to front hole of mirror, approx factory location, mocked up mirror as high as possible as backing plate will allow before hitting bodyline ridge above it, best location is about 1/2 inch farther back than factory location, as none of the top of the mirror is blocked by the vent window channel.

Even mounted as high as possible a little of the bottom inside corner is still blocked by the door, and a bigger problem is the the mirror cannot be tilted inward far enough to even catch a slight view of the bedside, the mirror nearly hits the base and runs out of swivel at that point. I like to see just the slightest hint of bedside in the mirror for an idea of where things are in relation to the truck.

I bought these mirrors from Chevy Duty and they seem to be good quality. Does anyone have any adjustment suggestions or should I try a different brand ? Or is that about as good a view as you (or anyone else) can get with the sport mirrors ???

Any good looking mirror options ??? Thanks in advance.

71blksuper4x4 11-28-2005 12:32 AM

Re: Sport Mirror Problem

We put my mirrors in the factory location, and actually you can't see out of the passenger mirror. They are hid a little bit behind the vent window and no... you really can't use it, but it's factory. I don't even use it ... it's all for looks. Hope this helps. sorry no adjustments stories here. Trevor

Richard 11-28-2005 02:43 AM

The RH mirror is located about 3/4" farther back than the LH from the factory. I mounted my passenger mirror an inch futher back and will probably go another 1/2" when I change out the crappy repop door skin for my NOS one.

truckdude239 11-28-2005 03:06 AM

okay i know this is an stupid and not meaning to highjack this thread but i hear everyone talking about nos parts what does nos stand for?

Richard 11-28-2005 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckdude239
what does nos stand for?

New/Old/Stock. Generally reffered to as an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) new uninstalled part that has been on the shelf for many years. The parts are not always perfect as they have been around for a few years. But the parts can fit better and most of the time do, as they are the parts a dealer would have used for a repair.

Green Machine 11-28-2005 10:56 AM

This truck is going to be daily driven when it's done by my 16 yr old son. Is even the drivers side sport mirror large enough to be any good ??? Not going to be pulling a trailer, how about using the earlier style arms like from a 68 with a 5x7 mirror head ? Would that be much better ??

grebus1 11-28-2005 12:50 PM

I put the sport mirrors on my Burb and agree that you really can't see much out of the passenger side mirror. I have also thought about changing to the '67-68 style (I've heard that they do a pretty good job), but isn't the mounting location in a different spot? I'd rather not drill more holes (not to mention uncovering the ones already there).

409biscayne 11-28-2005 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grebus1
I put the sport mirrors on my Burb and agree that you really can't see much out of the passenger side mirror. I have also thought about changing to the '67-68 style (I've heard that they do a pretty good job), but isn't the mounting location in a different spot? I'd rather not drill more holes (not to mention uncovering the ones already there).

67-68 mirrors mount way forward . The furthest forward of the three holes is about 2 inchs back from the door edge , under the vent window . At least thats where they are on my 68 , they work well though . Hope that helps . Later.

truckdude239 11-28-2005 01:00 PM

i'de like to know more about these i got little plastic mirriors the op put on the and if you hit an bumb the driver side moves lol

70c10 11-28-2005 01:41 PM

The mirror arms are too short in my opinion. If you put those little 1.5" round spot mirrors on the corner of the mirror it helps alot.

loblazer 11-28-2005 01:50 PM

I got mirrors from the wrecker off 95 Ford ranger (same ones on the Aerostar van). They have a good size mirror and have a lot of adjustment and look good. They were factory black so I painted them to match my paint job.

If you get a pair, watch when you take them off. The two screws go into a backing plate. Don't drop it in the door, you will want it for mounting on your doors.

Send me your email if you want pics of mine.

Doug

MrC1 11-28-2005 07:19 PM

I recently swapped over to the small mirrors as well. I also had/have the same problem. The psgr mirror is too small to use from that distance. I would like to find something about 50% larger to put on that side, but somehow retain the factory look of the mini-mirrors.

Answer: No, you're no alone. It's bad design.

DANL 12-19-2006 12:13 AM

Do you think part of the problem may be the following is not printed on the sport mirror:

Warning: Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

72 K20 02-19-2012 10:56 PM

" We put my mirrors in the factory location, and actually you can't see out of the passenger mirror. They are hid a little bit behind the vent window and no... you really can't use it, but it's factory. I don't even use it ... it's all for looks. Hope this helps. sorry no adjustments stories here. Trevor "__________________

The Mirrors from brothers won't adjust in either.

Where would I find a replacement glass for an OEM sport mirror ?

My passenger side mirror is cracked,, probably from the PO trying to adjust it !

I am going to try something on the passengers side swivel ball to try to get enough swivel so I can use it.

Any other ideas , answers, or solutions to the " can't turn the mirror in enough " problem would be greatly appreciated !!

Thank You ! Tom

29od1 03-26-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

The Mirrors from brothers won't adjust in either.

Where would I find a replacement glass for an OEM sport mirror ?

My passenger side mirror is cracked,, probably from the PO trying to adjust it !

I am going to try something on the passengers side swivel ball to try to get enough swivel so I can use it.

Any other ideas , answers, or solutions to the " can't turn the mirror in enough " problem would be greatly appreciated !!

Thank You ! Tom

What I had to do, to get the passenger side to swivel enough to be able to see out of it, was to grind the edge of the part that the ball sits inside (the main part of the bracket, not the part that the mirror attaches to).

After a couple of trial fits and grinding, it's as usable as it's going to get for the sport mirrors. I also mounted it in the factory location about 8-1/4" rearward from the edge of the door on the pass side.
This is a good thread with mounting location info:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...bruce88&page=4

72 K20 03-26-2012 10:04 PM

Thanks for the tip !! I would like to see a picture if I could . What you described is what I thought I'd have to do .. What did you use for a grinder ?

Thank You !! Tom

67ChevyRedneck 03-27-2012 12:52 AM

WOW this was originally an old thread!

I too had originally bought "sport mirrors" for my truck but after mocking them up I too realized they sucked. I bought a set of 67-70 style mirrors instead. I think they look cooler and are actually functional!

29od1 03-27-2012 09:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 K20 (Post 5277111)
Thanks for the tip !! I would like to see a picture if I could . What you described is what I thought I'd have to do .. What did you use for a grinder ?

Thank You !! Tom

I'll try to get some pics tonight and post them. I actually used a metal grinding bit on a small 90 degree die grinder to do it. You have to tape the surrounding area up with 3-4 layers of painters tape just incase the bit slips, you don't want to mark up the mirror bracket. Just take your time and be patient when doing it.

Here's a pic of the type of grinding bit I used. I suppose a Dremel and bit would work also.

72 K20 03-28-2012 06:18 PM

Thank you for the info !! Looking forward to the pic of the back side of the mirror !!

Thank You !! Tom

29od1 03-29-2012 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the passenger side mirror (albeit a very poor one) that shows the little lip area that you need to radius. You only want to grind on the stainless lip part that the mirror attaches to, not the ball itself. I think the ball is chrome plated and it would start to rust if the plating is ground off.

It took a couple of trial fits and grinding, the mirror now can turn toward the cab enough so that I can see out of it directly behind the truck. I'm not sure if the original mirrors were this way, the ones I have are repops. Hope it helps.

72 K20 03-30-2012 05:36 AM

Thank you for the picture . That took a little finesse to trim that edge without knicking the swivel ball !!! Nice work !!

It's a shame that a person has to remanufacture reproduction parts to make them perform the way they are advertised to !!

I returned the repops I had bought,,, the 4 rivets on the back were starting to rust within a month on both mirrors.

Thank you for the pic !! Have a great day !!
Tom

shawn01520 04-03-2012 08:38 AM

I had the same problem with my Brothers Repops. I decided that since I will be towing with mine that I would get bigger better mirrors. I went to AutoZone and bought 2 1995 F150 Style mirrors. I like the look and there is plenty of adjustment, plus they are cheap as hell. The mounting point will need to be modified a little but they will work a lot better than the stockers. I have the new in the box set of Brothers Sport mirrors if someone wants them? Make me a reasonable offer.

29od1 02-20-2013 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Old thread, but I added the a pic from Bruce's truck build on mounting locations.

Also, you only need to grind the edge of the lip (closest to the door) on the RH side mirror so it can rotate further inward.

Tillik 02-23-2014 04:22 PM

Sub'd

Steve Cole 08-15-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29od1 (Post 5281578)
Here's a pic of the passenger side mirror (albeit a very poor one) that shows the little lip area that you need to radius. You only want to grind on the stainless lip part that the mirror attaches to, not the ball itself. I think the ball is chrome plated and it would start to rust if the plating is ground off.

It took a couple of trial fits and grinding, the mirror now can turn toward the cab enough so that I can see out of it directly behind the truck. I'm not sure if the original mirrors were this way, the ones I have are repops. Hope it helps.

Looking at that pic, it looks like the mirror is contacting the arm before the ball housing? even comes into play. This is my problem anyway, the mirror contacts the arm before anything else hits. I don't see how what you did fixed the problem. Can you show pics of the finished product?

Thanks.