The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Anyone interested in a bikini top? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=231774)

Yukon Jack 03-16-2007 09:52 AM

Anyone interested in a bikini top?

A couple years ago I started collecting names of people who might be interested in purchasing a bikini top for their K5. Got a bunch of names and another boardmember, tonyp, and I took the reins and got some produced by a boat top maker Tony knew in California. Tonyp has not been active here for quite some time and I've taken steps to see about getting these bikini tops available again. A local upholstery shop is willing to make these bikini tops. Final price hasn't been determined but expect it to be in the range of $95 to $115 depending on fabric and style + $20 shipping.

Once these are available I will update this post and put an actual for sale post in the classified section.

UPDATE Here is a link to the post in the classified ad section! :metal:

The purpose of this post is just to get an idea how many people might be interested. As before, I'm not making a penny on this, just helping to get bikini tops available as none of the big top makers were interested when I contacted them a couple years ago.

There will be two styles available. One is a style that can attach with snaps across the front (you install the snaps so you get them where your existing snaps might be) The other style is for people who already own a Fastrac style soft top. I don't have access to the Fastrac attachment rail and at the present time STC is not in business so you're on your own if you need the attachment rail.

There are some pics of a bikini top tonyp and I had designed for the Fastrac rail here along with some pics of the Fastrac rail that I purchased for myself before STC went out of business. The ones made by the local upholstery shop should be identical. He will use my bikini top for the Fastrac style pattern and one of our K5 boardmembers, who has a wicked bbc'd K5 :metal: is sending me his snaptop bikini top that he ordered when these were last available to also use as a pattern.

Blizz 03-16-2007 12:54 PM

Re: Anyone interested in a bikini top?

I'm so there. Count me in. I'd need the one with the snaps because I already have snaps in place from the soft top that I have now.

stomper 03-16-2007 02:29 PM

I'm in. Three questions:

Other color options or only Black?

How can I make sure it will fit? My roll bar is different than yours. The top would have to be a little shorter and without the 'wings' where the straps attach at the back.

If I install snaps, can I still put the hard top on?

jamie72 03-16-2007 03:33 PM

put me in for one.

Yukon Jack 03-16-2007 03:58 PM

There are a bunch of colors available. The order sheet will have info about the colors and probably a link to the material manufacturer so you can see their actual colors on your screen.

The order sheet asks for a measurement from your windshield frame to the roll bar that way the top can be made to fit your specific vehicle/roll bar configuration.

I will see if Burt4x4 can respond about your question about the snaps as he has the snap version. I believe most people remove the snaps from the soft tops when they go to put on their hard tops. Maybe Burt4x4 will have some pics to show you how his snap top and bikini attached. He has since gone to the Fastrac softtop but he probably has pics.

jaros44sr 03-16-2007 04:42 PM

Put me in

RED72blazer 03-16-2007 07:23 PM

I'm interested in one!

DANL 03-16-2007 07:23 PM

Hey YJ, I'm on the fence.

Huck 03-16-2007 08:51 PM

As previously discussed, I'm ready when you are. The only question I have is snap installation---where would we put them so as to not mess up the top frame where the hardtop mounts? I guess we could make the holes, use sealer before installing the snaps--then remove them--reseal--when we put the hardtop back on for winter!?

NuBomb 03-16-2007 11:38 PM

I'm in. I never sent in my order when Tony was making them, but I definitely won't wait this time.

LUV2XCLR8 03-17-2007 09:31 AM

Is there anyway to make a front brim bar that would boltdown using the top
mounting locations? That would be the bomb IMHO cause I will not do snaps.

vtblazer 03-17-2007 09:42 AM

How flexable will the "length" measurement be?
Will the bimi's be priced depending on material used or a one size fits all kinda thing?

Only thing about the snap issue is that once, I tried to fit three different tops (all the same brand) on the blue blazer with existing snap holes but only one top fit.:confused:
Apparently the pattern varied over the years.

ABLAZN 03-17-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 (Post 2079553)

:agree: :gi: I would also like to see this set up. I would be willing to pay extra not to have to deal with snaps on the windshield frame.

LUV2XCLR8 03-17-2007 09:47 AM

Hmmmmm, I work for a Aluminum manufacturer, Might have to try and
design this thing, one thing for sure is BILLET stuff always looks good.

vtblazer 03-17-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 (Post 2079553)

I refused to drill my green one for snaps too, that's why to date it doesn't have a soft top.

I cut down a junk hard top to "play" with the same idea your talking about.
Sits to high obviously with the factory hard top but if you could reproduce the base it would be a super easy install from there.

I can look into aluminum extrusion also, seems like it would be worth the effort.

Chevyman63 03-17-2007 11:02 AM

I've thought about the aluminum extrusion concept also, but I may try to make a fiberglass mold and build one of fiberglass, although the extrusion would probably be easier. My problem is time. Can't seem to find any?

jaros44sr 03-17-2007 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=Chevyman63;2079669.My problem is time. Can't seem to find any?[/QUOTE]

Hey Chevyman, I've got a bottle of tyme in my spice rack. maybe I could send you some.j/k

I like the extrusion idea, might play with it myself...

My '64 tr4 had a plate screwed to the top of the w/s and the top had a sheetmetal part sewn into the top. Then the top would slide under the top plate, when pulled to the rear to fasten the top down pressure kept the top under the plate... just a thought!!

LUV2XCLR8 03-17-2007 11:42 AM

Well I can get the stuff vertually free, because we produce it at my facility,
and used some of it on the surfer rack makeover thread I did. All I need are
the measurements, which I can get, and the time to do it. I wonder if it's a
better idea for it to curve with the frame, but be straight across the back?

Chevyman63 03-17-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44 (Post 2079734)
Hey Chevyman, I've got a bottle of tyme in my spice rack. maybe I could send you some.j/k

Is there any chance you could overnight that? I'll pay ya back. LOL

Blue4x4 03-17-2007 08:25 PM

I'm in for one. Also interested without the straps.

jaros44sr 03-17-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyman63 (Post 2079854)
Is there any chance you could overnight that? I'll pay ya back. LOL

Wasn't there a song about that. Time ina bottle. You pay shipping, I'll send it out
Looks like Luv needs some too

Chevyman63 03-17-2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 (Post 2079743)
I wonder if it's a

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44 (Post 2080434)
Wasn't there a song about that. Time ina bottle. You pay shipping, I'll send it out
Looks like Luv needs some too

LOL! I think most of us could use it! :b69:

LUV2XCLR8 03-17-2007 11:13 PM

I will try to work on this Monday ;)

jaros44sr 03-18-2007 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 (Post 2079743)
Well I can get the stuff vertually free, because we produce it at my facility,
and used some of it on the surfer rack makeover thread I did. All I need are
the measurements, which I can get, and the time to do it. I wonder if it's a

If you make it try to incorporate the 2 top mounting bolts, and then maybe 3-5 screws on the frontedge, just a thought...

LUV2XCLR8 03-18-2007 08:11 AM

Mine has 4 mounting points, 2 L shaped brackets, and then the 2 that go
through the visors, I think that would be plenty but not everyone runs a
set of visors. I will take lots of pic's and measurements tomorrow, then I
can go from there and see what we have that might be usable at work.