The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Vintage Air question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=322341)

OrrieG 01-05-2009 02:40 PM

Vintage Air question

I did a search and can't find any answer so here goes. I just got a used Vintage Air system for 55-59 pickups. It looks like the system in VA's advertising. In the install manual it used 4 holes in the firewall for the heat and AC hoses. I'd like to use a nicer firewall plate but cannot figure out how you physically connect it with the unit installed tight to the firewall. Do you push the hoses throught the firewall, connect to flange and then push the extra back through and mount the flange? Thanks Patrick

mylow53 01-05-2009 03:01 PM

Re: Vintage Air question

3 Attachment(s)
my 53 used an a diifrent style is this what you mean?

OrrieG 01-05-2009 03:39 PM

Thanks for the reply and photos. I will look at mine again and if the lines drop out of the bottom like yours then its no problem. At first glance I thought mine came out the side of the unit towards the back.

mylow53 01-05-2009 07:02 PM

they actually wrap over the top and drop behind. this is from my 53 your 59 may be different. but the system should be the same
GT

OrrieG 01-05-2009 08:06 PM

I looked closer at the unit, the install instructions and info on the VA site. There are some transition hardline pieces that the previous guy did not use, he ran the hoses directly to the unit. Also they call for screwing attachment screws through my newly smoothed firewall which will not happen, I'll spot weld some studs. It looks like they have enough optional fittings that its just a matter of looping it like yours to access the block at the firewall. My box is shallower and longer. Having the block low is not a problem, I can make a cover for the inside and I want the lines low and out of sight anyway. Thanks for the help. Patrick

mylow53 01-05-2009 08:49 PM

hey patrick i didn't use hardlines in the cab you can buy from V.A. a flex line kit. The hard lines are designed to exit the 4" fan hole in your firewall. it may be much cheeper to talk to your local ac shop. they crimped my lines for 2 bucks each. you should be able to pickup what you need from them as long as you have your firewall passthru figured out.
GT

OrrieG 01-05-2009 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylow53 (Post 3068476)
hey patrick i didn't use hardlines in the cab you can buy from V.A. a flex line kit. The hard lines are designed to exit the 4" fan hole in your firewall. it may be much cheeper to talk to your local ac shop. they crimped my lines for 2 bucks each. you should be able to pickup what you need from them as long as you have your firewall passthru figured out.
GT

Local is good, I like supporting the economy. I'll ask my local guys and find a rodder friendly shop. For now I have to get the steering and seats figured out, I'm going in to many directions.