The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   haynes vs chilton (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=454871)

keithh999 03-23-2011 08:34 PM

haynes vs chilton

out of the two best known repair manuals which one would be the best for an 88 GMC Suburban 5.7L 4x4?? or is there an alternate that would beat them??

BLE 'BURBAN 03-23-2011 10:18 PM

Re: haynes vs chilton

Go to www.helminc.com and order the factory service manual It'll include the factory wiring/vacuum diagram. I've got all three brands and personaly I love the factory one the most.

68Timber 03-25-2011 10:58 AM

The factory repair manuals are sold on ebay in dvd format.

4pilgrim4 03-28-2011 08:56 AM

I'd choose the Haynes over the Chiltons as they seem to get into a bit more depth, but the factory manual is best.

One of the best reasons to use the factory is the pictures and diagrams are much better. OTOH, sometimes the factory manual relies on factory special tooling and jigs that the average guy has no access to.

Also OTOH often the aftermarket manuals call out these same jigs with a poorer photo or diagram -- so I guess this again points to the factory manual.

jumbo 03-28-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLE 'BURBAN (Post 4573527)
Go to www.helminc.com and order the factory service manual It'll include the factory wiring/vacuum diagram. I've got all three brands and personaly I love the factory one the most.

i just checked that site and all they have is the owners manuals. Do i need to pick a different year? I have an 89 burb, i know from 88-91 they kept the square body style but the 88-96 (or so) motor and stuff...

special-K 03-29-2011 07:42 AM

I ordered a Helm book when my '90 Blazer was new. They sent me three!! It took three books to cover schematics and such. Chilton and Haynes are like a cheap flashlight. When you try to use them they work a little then leave you hanging. Just enough to make you think you have something and end up aggrevating you.

motornut 03-29-2011 11:35 PM

couldn't find my old Haynes books
and well i had to call around just to find a Haynes manual in a Canadian tire store up here
was told it was a special order,why one store didn't have it...BS
25$ well spent insurance i feel (bought one for every car i've had,big stack of them now lol)
sure a factory one is very detailed (i have some for others $$)but most of us will get by without them
and the newer one is a lot better then i remember the old one.....pictures not pencil drawings
On the side of the road with no start......that 25 buck book could be your best friend lol.