The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Double flaring tool: Finally got what I paid for with Harbor Freight (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=478788)

prostreetC-10 08-09-2011 12:23 PM

Double flaring tool: Finally got what I paid for with Harbor Freight

WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!!!!!!!!!

I have had outstanding luck with HF tools and I think it's because I know what to and what NOT to buy from them. My cheapy air tools just keep working and working and working!!!!

Now let's talk about the $16 double flaring tool I bought to make my new brake lines for the 9" in my Camaro. I could have and should have done a better job with a ball peen hammer and a tube of chapstick! Maybe it flairs the bigger stuff okay but who cares if it's 3/16th line I'm working on!

Enough of that. I see that sears and Home depot both carry the "general tool" kit in the $50 price range. Anyone used this? Is there a decent one out there in the $50 range? Can't justify spending $150+ for something I won't use very much at all.

Thanks guys!

P.S. I notice that I end almost every sentence with an exclamation point! :lol:

68gmsee 08-09-2011 12:57 PM

Re: Double flaring tool: Finally got what I paid for with Harbor Freight

I've heard that the Napa flaring tool set is a good one. I'm not sure if they sell different brands or if there's only one but I'd check them out also.

Southcity 08-09-2011 01:10 PM

Hey ProstreetC-10 - I feel your pain, I just finished a brake and fuel line project. Went through two double flaring tools (Jegs and Local parts store) and they both failed me in a big way. I ended up with the double flaring tool from Craftsmen that I purchased at Sears and it worked flawlessly, was about $50.00 and well worth it.

hlp-3 08-09-2011 01:51 PM

The Ridgid no 345 is the best and it is available for under $50 online. If you need the double lap mandrels it will go over your $50 budget. Hopefully you can re-use the ones from the HF flaring tool. I have done numerous brake lines with this tool - all absolutely perfect. Really holds the tubing well.

prostreetC-10 08-09-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southcity (Post 4836322)
I ended up with the double flaring tool from Craftsmen that I purchased at Sears and it worked flawlessly, was about $50.00 and well worth it.

You mean Sears as in the Sears that is just down the road from my house?? Sweet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlp-3 (Post 4836365)
Hopefully you can re-use the ones from the HF flaring tool.

I actually think that is the problem. The clamp and the other part work just fine. I believe the problem is in poor machining in the flaring adapters. They look like they were machined with a Dremmel and a blindfold!

Southcity 08-09-2011 02:09 PM

"You mean Sears as in the Sears that is just down the road from my house?? Sweet!"

Yes sir, good ole Sears and Craftsmen, held the tubing well, double flared my ends perfectly over and over again, have lent it to some friends and they report excellent results as well. I've never tried the Rigid #345 that HLP-3 suggests but it looks like a quality tool and comes highly recommended.

Shane 08-09-2011 02:16 PM

you will need to buy used to stay under the $50 budget, but there is no better flaring tool than an Imperial

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R4...All-Categories

hlp-3 08-09-2011 02:27 PM

While Imperial is also a very product, I think the two wing nut design of most flare tools is poor. In my opinion the hinge design and the clamp right over the tube makes all the difference. (No I do not work for Ridgid) I was actually in the same boat as prostreetC-10 and bought a new one (the Ridgid 345) at Home Depot for like $30, but that was probably 10 years ago.

prostreetC-10 08-09-2011 02:46 PM

Okay guys....I am an absolute complete moron. Started looking at the Imperial stuff and their directions. It appears that double flaring is a 2 step process and I was only completing the first step. Got my practice line back out and did BOTH steps this time. You know what....the little tool works pretty good. I'm still going to look for a better quality one but at least I know it's a 2 step process to success. Thanks Shane for getting my brain working again.

bighaas79 08-09-2011 06:49 PM

Lol! hence the name DOUBLE flare! 2 steps. ehh gotta learn somehow.

ERASER5 08-09-2011 06:56 PM

Prostreet, I'll jump in. Go to Auto Zone and get their Nickel/Copper alloy line. A HUGE part of your problems will be solved. This stuff bends like butter and does not rust.

DO NOT try to double flare stainless steel. That requires expensive equipment.

Shane 08-09-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlp-3 (Post 4836403)
While Imperial is also a very product, I think the two wing nut design of most flare tools is poor. In my opinion the hinge design and the clamp right over the tube makes all the difference. (No I do not work for Ridgid) I was actually in the same boat as prostreetC-10 and bought a new one (the Ridgid 345) at Home Depot for like $30, but that was probably 10 years ago.

folks who work with connectors and flared tubing for a living use Imperial flare tools ... I know this from experience. ;)

hayhauler71 08-10-2011 02:08 PM

If you look at a snap on or mac there are also made by Imperial Eastman

cableguy0 08-11-2011 11:38 PM

I would let you use my mastercool hydraulic set but I would need you to send me at least 2 good working carbs for collateral. Plus your a tad far away.

bighaas79 08-12-2011 11:05 PM

I've got the mastercool as well. by far the best i have ever used.

68C15 08-20-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighaas79 (Post 4842357)
I've got the mastercool as well. by far the best i have ever used.

same here. did you get it with the push connect adapters?

I have dinked around with manual flaring for 20+ years and finally decided it was time to get serious. and with the way brake lines rust in my area it gets used quite often.
for bending lines though I have the Imperial ones.

bighaas79 08-20-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 4854946)
same here. did you get it with the push connect adapters?

I have dinked around with manual flaring for 20+ years and finally decided it was time to get serious. and with the way brake lines rust in my area it gets used quite often.
for bending lines though I have the Imperial ones.

Yup. I also got all the 37* dies to do an fiitings as well. I have used the push connect fittings a couple of times but the tube like to get stuck in the die. if you grease up the tubing before you form it it seems to help.