The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Bags with no drop spindles (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=485809)

scum1 09-23-2011 08:25 PM

Bags with no drop spindles

Does anyone run air bags with no drop spindles. I am considering going air ride but dont want to purchase new spindles. Anyone have feedback about this..maybe some pics? thanks

lolife99 09-25-2011 06:12 AM

Re: Bags with no drop spindles

I don't see why it's not possible.
(I assume you have a drum brake truck?)
It will just be 2.5"-3" higher in the front than a truck with drop spindles.

What year truck are you working on?

The Big Green 09-25-2011 09:41 AM

How low are you wanting to go? If you want a higher than laying body bag job then you wont need them. If your not wanting to lay the bed on the ground it can sit level. Now, if these aren't your bag requirements then it may sit higher in front. Now, I have a Z on stock spindles and sit body on the ground. This being on my 67.
Posted via Mobile Device

kieth 09-25-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scum1 (Post 4915779)
Does anyone run air bags with no drop spindles. I am considering going air ride but dont want to purchase new spindles. Anyone have feedback about this..maybe some pics? thanks

No one asked what you wanted to accomplish with the front air ride,

1. do you want to drop the front of the truck ?

2. are you trying to get a better ride ?

3. Are you only wanting to lower the truck when sitting still ?

4. Are you trying to lower it for overall stance ?

scum1 09-25-2011 10:13 PM

Sorry keith i def should of been more specific..

63 swb, cnotch in back, lowering blocks, cut coils all around

it currently sits at a good height. what i wanted to do was maintain the current height as "ride height" and be able to

1. lower it when parked
2. be able to tow my bikes (air it up more)
3. have overall better ride quaility

SCOTI 09-26-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scum1 (Post 4919669)
Sorry keith i def should of been more specific..

63 swb, cnotch in back, lowering blocks, cut coils all around

it currently sits at a good height. what i wanted to do was maintain the current height as "ride height" and be able to

1. lower it when parked
2. be able to tow my bikes (air it up more)
3. have overall better ride quaility

Swap some bags into place if you're happy w/everything else & just want improved ride quality w/adjustability.

kieth 09-26-2011 09:10 AM

the bags are the way to accomplish that, you will be a lot happier with the ride, later you can improve the handling and ride with lower front spindles because it will allow you to have a lower ride height with full travel shocks and the air bags. Go with the bags, you will like it. Start out with bags in the rear only with a schrader valve, then you can start to add more bags, air compressors etc as your budget allows. Kieth

ps you can put 1 bike in the back of your truck (I have 4 bikes , have a bumper sticker on the back of each one, it says

"If you see this bike being ridden in Kansas call 911 ! Its' STOLEN "

I only ride corners....................I am a militant trailerer.......:sumo:

Kieth

scum1 09-26-2011 03:36 PM

haha right on guys thanks for that..i think i might start with the rear and work my way up.

shortbed70 09-26-2011 10:19 PM

Totally possible I have stock spindles and home brewed lowers and I'm about two inches off the ground on the crossmember but get about 10" of lift.
Posted via Mobile Device

scum1 09-27-2011 02:00 PM

ok cool...i was lookin at stuff in the suspension market place

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=442745

how do these front bag mounts work? i know the top one bolts to the xmember, but what about the bottom. does it just bolt to the bag and sit in the lca as is..no cutttin/welding?

ive been looking at the way people cup there own lca's i just want to do the easiest to have it sit as low as possible and have ride height comfortable yet still low

Slammed50 09-27-2011 02:31 PM

They work just like the stock spring and sit in the lower control arm with no bolt, just the weight of the truck holding it in place. There is no cutting or welding involved except for the holes to bolt the upper plate on. You can trim the lower cup a bit for a little more drop.
Posted via Mobile Device

scum1 09-27-2011 02:39 PM

trim the top of the cup? does the x member sit on top of that or somethingwhen aired out? you mean cut it flush to the lower control arm?

Slammed50 09-27-2011 02:46 PM

You trim the bottom of the cup where it actually sits in the control arm, not the top where it bolts to the bag.
Posted via Mobile Device

scum1 09-27-2011 03:29 PM

hmm i cant picture that..does anyone have any pics?

lolife99 09-27-2011 03:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Look at this thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=129463

Slammed50 09-27-2011 06:44 PM

Thanks for the pics lolife, I'm not at a computer now to help show what I am trying to explain. See what I am talking about now scum1?
Posted via Mobile Device

scum1 09-27-2011 07:56 PM

haha wow i totally thought the bag was mounted IN that cup..i see exactly what you mean now. thanks you guys for that info..one more question

right now i have cut coils front and rear, in the rear i have the small cnotch with about 2 1/2 inches of clearance from axel to bumpstop. is it possible that after installing bags, when completly aired out that it will be higher than what i currently have. from the looks of that pic in the thread that bag aired out is pretty tall..does that make sense? in essence i want the rear to be on bumps and front as far down as possible too when aired out..sorry for all the questions im new to the air scene. thanks again

SCOTI 09-27-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scum1 (Post 4923395)
haha wow i totally thought the bag was mounted IN that cup..i see exactly what you mean now. thanks you guys for that info..one more question

right now i have cut coils front and rear, in the rear i have the small cnotch with about 2 1/2 inches of clearance from axel to bumpstop. is it possible that after installing bags, when completly aired out that it will be higher than what i currently have. from the looks of that pic in the thread that bag aired out is pretty tall..does that make sense? in essence i want the rear to be on bumps and front as far down as possible too when aired out..sorry for all the questions im new to the air scene. thanks again

Double convoluted style bags that are typically spec'd for the C10's w/truck arms will compress to about 3" w/no air.

John @ BROTHERS 10-02-2011 07:17 PM

This is a pic of my '69 with just bags, no drop spindles or c-notch. I did it strictly for the ride. Picture is with all the bags emptied out, ride height was about a 3"/4" drop.

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/images/john/johns_69.jpg

scum1 10-02-2011 10:15 PM

nice truck john..looks great.

RUSHNBOBO 10-02-2011 10:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's another type ...bolts to lower control arm and upper pocket :chevy:

scum1 10-26-2011 04:32 PM

nice thanks for all the replys for this...im trying to figure out all possible problems/concerns for swapping my coils with bags..one last issue i had a question on was the front fender well..will i need to cut a relief for the front wheel and switch to a different hinge setup..it seems as if i have less room between the tire and fender, than the crossmember and lca from bottoming out..so it will make contact on the wheel first when aired out..does anyone have an experience or comments about that? thanks again

SCOTI 10-26-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scum1 (Post 4975000)
nice thanks for all the replys for this...im trying to figure out all possible problems/concerns for swapping my coils with bags..one last issue i had a question on was the front fender well..will i need to cut a relief for the front wheel and switch to a different hinge setup..it seems as if i have less room between the tire and fender, than the crossmember and lca from bottoming out..so it will make contact on the wheel first when aired out..does anyone have an experience or comments about that? thanks again

How tall is the tire?

scum1 10-26-2011 06:21 PM

im runnin 225/75-15..so i think thats about 28"~

SCOTI 10-26-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scum1 (Post 4975150)
im runnin 225/75-15..so i think thats about 28"~

Yep, just a tad over 28" tall.

If you plan to drive really low, then the inner fenderwell & hinge might be an issue on big dips in the road. They will limit the drop @ a certain point but it would happen much sooner w/o the stock height spindles.

What do you estimate the drop dimensions are?