The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Blazer Middle Seat (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=523447)

cpavelko 05-07-2012 02:44 PM

Blazer Middle Seat

Currently my blazer has the factory '70 bucket seats in it. What I really wanted is a bench seat but have no way to access the back. I was thinking of putting a middle deat in between the factory buckets so it acts like a bench. Has anyone done this before or know which seat works the best hieght / width wise? I was looking at the GM middle seats from a 03-06 pickup wit hthe fold down console. I'd have to make it match my interior though.
I did sone reasearch on this forum and saw they made a rare factory option middle seat as well.
Any suggestions or ideas?

Also has anyone put buddy buckets in a blazer and have the seats fold forward to access the back? I was thinking of this setup first but didn't think it was practical cost wise.

70cst 05-07-2012 10:17 PM

Re: Blazer Middle Seat

bump

71swb4x4 05-07-2012 10:24 PM

I don't think there was an option for a factory middle seat.

The fold down console from a newer pickup might work well. It would be handy having that extra seat.

cpavelko 05-08-2012 01:42 AM

Thanks for the bump.

here is the thread I found for the factory middle seat in the Blazer:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=120032

I will have to take some dimensions and go junk yarding to see what would work in between the seats. Was curious if anyone has done this before.

VA72C10 05-08-2012 01:51 AM

that probably was a dealer add-on as mentioned in the thread you linked....plus, it didn't fold down. Either way you can't order one now ;)

You could have one made by an upholstery shop to match your seats...

Wish I was more help :chevy:

bouncytruck 05-13-2012 12:00 PM

Never seen a factory middle seat. Doesn't look like it would be too complicated to make. Maybe go to a boat upholstery shop and see if they can fab something up.

Trucks did have "buddy buckets" but the passenger seat doesn't tilt forward as far as I know.

viking427 05-15-2012 11:10 AM

Lots of threads on seats, just use the site search engine.

90's-current Chevy pickup and Dodge Ram split buckets (40/20/40) are popular for their fold-fwd backs and large console/armrest that hold alot of stuff. consider ones with removable headrests to keep a lower "period correct" appearance to the early trucks/blazers/Jimmys. Some have/had a lower middle seat cushion that lifts up for storage below also. Forward-folding seat backs allow rear seat pass's to "twist" their way into the back seat ..definetely not handicap accessible, but ok for agile folks, kids (take child seat access into consideration), dogs etc. Some 2 door extended cab (and possibly regular cab) seat backs flopped forward AND slid forward on its tracks with one lever pull. Power seat controls are tempting but a pita waiting for them to move fwd each time someone wants in/out from back seat. Of coarse all these need mounting modifications to fit the Blazer floorpan.

Or you can keep the oem (hinged) pass seat and replace the original console with a middle console/seat from above newer trucks. Or you can use a buddy buckets and swap (modify) the center seat's rear hinge out for one from above trucks so it stays upright & doesn't flop all the way backward ..the options are endless with an angle grinder, welder and drill.

Simplest would be to just recover a console/center seat from a newer truck to match your original buckets - giving 5th seat position, plenty of storage, Ipod/12v hookups, underseat hideaway stash box etc.

DustinU 05-15-2012 11:58 AM

I saw this on a current ad on craigslist in Lake Havasu AZ for a 1972 Blazer for sale...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...iddle_seat.jpg

viking427 05-15-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinU (Post 5381832)
I saw this on a current ad on craigslist in Lake Havasu AZ for a 1972 Blazer for sale..

Nice, appears to be late model Tahoe 2nd row setup, with outer headrests removed. They pivot forward for rear seat access like the early oem pass seat as well. Their only drawback is they're not adjustable up/down, for/aft etc. (no seat tracks), but thats nit-picking.

DustinU 05-15-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viking427 (Post 5381883)
Nice, appears to be late model Tahoe 2nd row setup, with outer headrests removed. They pivot forward for rear seat access like the early oem pass seat as well. Their only drawback is they're not adjustable up/down, for/aft etc. (no seat tracks), but thats nit-picking.

I have 2007 2nd row captains from a Tahoe and they look different... so I googled some seats and the picture above is actually 2006 Honda Odyssey 2nd row... I have too much time on my hands apparently :)

Mine don't slide forward, but at least they recline ;)

leddzepp 05-15-2012 01:44 PM

Most buddy bucket seats I have had, both passenger and driver seats folded forward.

DustinU 05-15-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 5381997)
Most buddy bucket seats I have had, both passenger and driver seats folded forward.

That is true on my seats as well (both will fold forward), but the steering wheel/column prevent the driver side from folding flat to engage the forward movement.

cpavelko 01-22-2013 08:36 PM

Bump! I put a WTB in the parts section for a middle seat off a buddy bucket setup. Has anyone tried to do this? Pics? Will the width work between the seats?

truckster 01-22-2013 09:22 PM

I used a 60/40 split bench from a 98 Silverado extended cab. It tilts and slides.

cpavelko 01-22-2013 09:36 PM

I'd like to keep my nice recovered factory 70 bucket seats (not utility buckets) and want a bench setup. I like the proper vintage seat for the truck and don't want to spend the $ to put an entire set of buddy buckets in and I dont think it would be easy to get to the rear even if I did. I think this would be the best option if it could work, just curious if anyone has done it.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/e89bd7f5.jpg

cpavelko 01-30-2013 09:35 PM

Bump