The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Header vs ramshorn exhaust manifold (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=524017)

WYOMING72 05-10-2012 04:43 PM

Header vs ramshorn exhaust manifold

Do headers give much power over the stock ramhorn manifolds on a 383 build with a small cam? Not looking for a race car just a cruising truck...

Dunenutt 05-10-2012 05:23 PM

Re: Header vs ramshorn exhaust manifold

Being that most headers are a real pain in the rear, I would say no. You may gain a little, but ramhorns flow pretty good. Headers don't really start performing until the motor is turning some serious rev's.

Lee H 05-10-2012 08:00 PM

Headers offer about 10-15 Ponys over ram horns. It takes 20 HP to feel any difference in the seat of ones pants.
Posted via Mobile Device

cj_69_911 05-10-2012 08:05 PM

i swaped my ram horns for headers and really like them. only problem i ran into was the clutch z bar. just my 2 cents.

Sport/Truck 05-10-2012 08:49 PM

I'm running ramhorns on my 383 and I'll say its just what your looking for. I also just finished my ss magnaflow x pipe system and its really nice!
Posted via Mobile Device

MARKDTN 05-11-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunenutt (Post 5373550)
Being that most headers are a real pain in the rear, I would say no. You may gain a little, but ramhorns flow pretty good. Headers don't really start performing until the motor is turning some serious rev's.

I agree

hjewell2 05-11-2012 07:47 AM

If you are not turning 5000 RPM or above you can run stock manifold and stock exhaust out the back.

TobyArnot 05-11-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj_69_911 (Post 5373801)
i swaped my ram horns for headers and really like them. only problem i ran into was the clutch z bar. just my 2 cents.

and on the flip side, I swapped some long tube headers for smoothed ram horns and simple duals. NO MORE LEAKS !

Dano69c10 05-11-2012 10:42 AM

Flip-side for me too! I junked the headers for ramhorns and felt the difference immediately. More get up and go! (in all fairness, the headers were cheapos).

sir_talk_alot 05-11-2012 12:19 PM

Ive debated whether to pull my long tubes for ramhorns. I listed my ramhorns for sale on cl, notsure if i should keep or sell.
Posted via Mobile Device

Heavy Evy 05-11-2012 12:59 PM

I put headers on my truck when I was 15 and now (im 24) I wish I wouldn't have. They leak like crazy and burn up plug wires easily if not routed right. I would say stay away unless your building a monster rpm motor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dunenutt 05-11-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_talk_alot (Post 5374989)
Ive debated whether to pull my long tubes for ramhorns. I listed my ramhorns for sale on cl, notsure if i should keep or sell.
Posted via Mobile Device

You could always buy these;)

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Ra...olds,3823.html

dan42 05-11-2012 03:59 PM

One more vote for ramhorns. They are quiet, seal good, and for the street, the power is fine.

GASoline71 05-11-2012 10:10 PM

Never understood why all the fuss that headers are bad. I've been runnin' headers on every truck or car I have owned for the last 30 years. No problems.

I'm not syain' they are all that much better than the ramhorns on a stock rig. But they are not the big pain in the tush that a lot of cats think they are.

Gary

1972RedNeck 05-11-2012 11:35 PM

I used 2 1/2" ramhorns on my 383.

I found THIS awhile ago.

sanford66 05-12-2012 03:28 AM

I vote headers. I had stock manifolds with Fowmaster 40's on my 72. I swapped them out for headers, 2 1/2" pipe and flowmaster 40's that dump in front of the rearend. It made a noticable difference in my truck! The main difference is the sound, a lot louder than the manifolds and full tailpipes, thats ok, the louder the better for me. I also did notice a slight boost in off throttle response as well. I really don't know why everyone dogs headers so much, they require some routine maintenance just like every thing else on these old trucks! Just run some good quality gaskets and you will be ok. Joseph

Andy4639 05-12-2012 04:03 AM

Ok I'll post here again.
Looking at the speedway ramhorns I see no truck ramhorns just car.

So does anybody know if these are a bolt on deal. My orignal ramhorns are turned back to miss the motor mounts. These are straight down and all the ones I've seen on their site are the same way.
Just wondering if I've missed something.

special-K 05-12-2012 06:01 AM

I am another one who doesn't get where all the negative views on headers comes from. When I started driving,everyone put headers on everything and I just thought they were cool. If they only help at high rpms,why did people put them on RVs to get more power? I have never thought of headers as being a hassle I think they are easier to deal with than manifolds. I have rarely had a leak problem and when I did it was a long time after they were installed. It's easy to occasionally tighten the bolts on the head,not that I ever have had to on my '72 that has had the same headers & gaskets since '04 without me ever needing to lay a hand on them. When the collector gaskets go,it's easy to replace them. A lot easier than replacing a donut gasket. And what about those pesky studs on manifolds? Who doesn't hate messing with those. The guys I know who do exhaust systems sure hate messing with them. I've had more problems from manifolds than headers. Haven't had any header problems that I can recall. I've had manifolds blow out and even break apart due to fatigue of the cast iron on two of my trucks. I'm not dogging manifolds,but my experience (in 40 years) has been more problems with manifolds,which is why I don't understand all the dogging on headers. And,nowadays they sell quality gaskets,unlike the cheap ones that were all we had years ago. Plug wires burned up? Just run your wires right and you won't have an issue...I don't.

Why do people swap intake manifolds? A stock 4bbl cast iron manifold will never leak like aftermarket aluminums are known to do. And,with normal driving you really won't see a great benefit for your money. I always swapped them just because that's what everyone was doing 40 years ago,just like headers.

Headers are just cool

Boog 05-12-2012 12:39 PM

You can do a little diggin and find exhaust system comparisons. There have been dozens of them by different magazines over the years for high perf motors and street driven stockers.
A tuned length header will build more power in a certain rpm band. Main tube length and diameter as well as collector length determine at what rpm the headers are most beneficial. You wouldn't want to run a header tuned for high rpm use puttin around town nor would you want to run a header tuned for low end torque in a high speed race situation.
Headers do give the vehicle a different exhaust note. To some loud pipes make them think they have more power. IMO some smooth ramhorns flow plenty for anything up to 400 hp or so.

Sideways 05-12-2012 12:55 PM

I have three trucks I drive right now, two with headers and one with manifolds.When I had the exhaust done on my 72 GMC I had the fellow use 2 1/4" pipe and it works well. With a rv cam it still sounds stock,but with my DD I used 2 1/4" and headers and still running the stock cam it does sound hotter than the stock manifolds.

I personally have not had any issues with headers mind you I have always bought new Hedman's and I love the sound of the cam when using headers.

HeavyD 05-12-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 5376130)
Ok I'll post here again.
Looking at the speedway ramhorns I see no truck ramhorns just car.

So does anybody know if these are a bolt on deal. My orignal ramhorns are turned back to miss the motor mounts. These are straight down and all the ones I've seen on their site are the same way.
Just wondering if I've missed something.

I am betting the straight dumps hit. Seems to me I recall in a thread regarding the Vette 2.5 manifolds that the exhaust will hit the mounts, so I imagine these true rams will as well.