The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Maiden Voyage (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=527482)

Livrat 06-01-2012 10:20 PM

Maiden Voyage

5 Attachment(s)
After 8 months and approx 1200hrs of work I finally was able to present my wife with her new daily driver, Its running a built 454, 700R4, 3:73 posi,
She picked out the colors, 68 front clip, old school centerline wheels, decided what body mods to do and talked me into smoothing the top.

What do you guys think?
First picture is what I started with (the bronze one)

too much stuff 06-01-2012 10:29 PM

Re: Maiden Voyage

WOW!!! That turned out awesome! You should be very proud.

OLD K5 06-01-2012 11:04 PM

my wife saw it and loves it. We just picked up a 72 K5 4x4 for her.
Posted via Mobile Device

rsavage 06-01-2012 11:11 PM

Stunning. Super nice job. You should be very proud of your creation.

3drburb 06-01-2012 11:17 PM

Thats super nice. I cannot let my wife see this, she might want one. Great job from both of you.

boonedogs72 06-01-2012 11:53 PM

looks amazing!

YBNORML 06-02-2012 12:03 AM

Looks great! I love the colors, the green and white look fantastic together!

47thriftmaster 06-02-2012 12:12 AM

That is a beautiful blazer, good to see it's complete.

bouncytruck 06-02-2012 03:20 AM

Very nice work! I like the side markers!

DustinU 06-02-2012 06:37 AM

Excellent Job! Looks great!

notsolo 06-02-2012 06:42 AM

WOW That is Perfect...Crisp contrast....Sweet White interior......Well Done.

CMACDONALD1 06-02-2012 10:43 AM

Looks real Nice! great color choice. now that you have a smoothed top would you do that again or would you texture the next one? The only reason I ask is because I have my top pulled off fopr the summer and thought it would be a great time to either smooth it or just refinish the way it was. The only thing I dont like about these tops is the dished in roof and not sure if I could live with it smoothed out. The 4x4 blazers kind of hide that flaw but the two wheel drive lowered blazers are right at eye level. Your imput would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure you thought of the same things when doing yours. Again the blazer looks really good!

KMACD71 06-02-2012 11:01 AM

Lucky lady. Very nice.

shawno72 06-02-2012 11:16 AM

Super Nice!!!

Livrat 06-02-2012 11:54 AM

Thank you all for the compliments, it put a smile on Roxanne's face!
She did mention that driving it takes some "getting use to" She has never had a vehicle that turns heads, gets thumbs up or has to repeatedly say "its not for sale", Maybe I'll convert her into a "Car girl" yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMACDONALD1 (Post 5413189)
Looks real Nice! great color choice. now that you have a smoothed top would you do that again or would you texture the next one? The only reason I ask is because I have my top pulled off fopr the summer and thought it would be a great time to either smooth it or just refinish the way it was. The only thing I dont like about these tops is the dished in roof and not sure if I could live with it smoothed out. The 4x4 blazers kind of hide that flaw but the two wheel drive lowered blazers are right at eye level. Your imput would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure you thought of the same things when doing yours. Again the blazer looks really good!

I would definately do it again!! I really like the look of a smooth top, If you decide to take on the project, remember it is not "traditional fiberglass" and uses different materials for repairs. (its SMC) And be prepaired for alot of work.
I think I discovered why GM textured them, the material is very porous! and the molding was very crude.
It took almost 50 hours of work to make it presentable, I pondered for quite some time about what to do with the sag, I discovered that the "ribs" that go side to side inside of a single wall top are actually wood 1"X 2"s molded in. So in order to fix it correctly one would have to litterly saw the top open, carefully cut out the wood "rib", bend up a new aluminum or steel rib to the contour of the top, build a fixture to push up and support the sag, insert the new rib and fill the void with epoxy, then use SMC resin and mat to make the surface repairs, So I decided to "live with" the sag.

CMACDONALD1 06-02-2012 12:34 PM

Thanks Livrat! I guess I have to ponder the pros and cons. Thanks for your imput I really appreciate it!

Bishops Trucks 06-02-2012 01:02 PM

Very nice work. Love the colors.

low'n slow 06-02-2012 03:15 PM

That looks incredible! Love the color, not what I would have considered before, but it is nice with the white.

Dmcinfo 06-02-2012 06:48 PM

Livrat:

Did you have the dash pad covered in white or were you able to order it from one of the vendors?

70cst 06-02-2012 11:19 PM

Hey Livrat ...

I would give you a 10+ .... Great job :metal:

jeffg1010 06-02-2012 11:32 PM

I liked the color as soon as I started scrolling, but when I hit the interior shot. I think I may have gasped a "holy S***" I gotta see more interior pics! I love that turquoise and WHITE!

And the instrument setup... is that Classic Instument cluster? I have been looking at going that route for my 2wd Blazer. I gotta see more! This could change my interior plans from red/black to red/white. :metal: Is your carpet black? pics! pics! pics!

Hard Luck 06-03-2012 12:20 AM

Looks great. Can't wait to see it in the light and check out all of your custom touches. The interior shot is my favorite. Great work. Looking forward to what comes out of the shop next.

Livrat 06-03-2012 01:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by low'n slow (Post 5413468)
That looks incredible! Love the color, not what I would have considered before, but it is nice with the white.

In all honesty it was not a color I would picked but the wife loves torquoise, And since it was being built for her, We headed to the paint store to look at color chips and she fell in love with 1958 Chevy Tartan turquoise and immediately said that's it!! then mentioned parchment interior. I went.. ummm uhhh okay..
But after seeing it almost finished (still need front carpets due to a vendors goof) I think she "hit the nail on the head with the colors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmcinfo (Post 5413724)
Livrat:

Did you have the dash pad covered in white or were you able to order it from one of the vendors?

The dash pad is actually a 1968 OEM pad that's been dyed with off the shelf SEM super white

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffg1010 (Post 5414152)
I liked the color as soon as I started scrolling, but when I hit the interior shot. I think I may have gasped a "holy S***" I gotta see more interior pics! I love that turquoise and WHITE!

And the instrument setup... is that Classic Instument cluster? I have been looking at going that route for my 2wd Blazer. I gotta see more! This could change my interior plans from red/black to red/white. :metal: Is your carpet black? pics! pics! pics!

More pictures coming up...
(you will notice that we are still without front carpets due to a vendors goof and taking forever to make it right)

The cluster is OEM Tach/air setup with the crappy vinyl overlays, I am going to build another one with the gauge faces rescreened in white with black lettering.
The carpet has been a challenge. at first we tried Saddle (normally stock with parchment interior) UGH!!.. then black.. too much contrast!! so off to look at carpet samples we went.. she picked out Silver.. once again I went.. uhmm uhh.. okay.. its your truck.. but after laying them in.. it worked.. another kudo to the wifes eye for color!!

VA72C10 06-03-2012 02:03 AM

wow, that's beautiful!!!!

Tom Vogel 06-03-2012 09:20 AM

Wow... Some women just have an eye for what looks right.