The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   push on door weather stripping (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=561786)

72 Super 01-20-2013 11:41 AM

push on door weather stripping

Has anyone used the push on door weatherstripping for their truck that stays outside? I need to replace mine and I was thinking of using this type especially if they seal better. Like to hear your feedback

thanks,
Ray

BIGBLU 72 01-20-2013 12:21 PM

Re: push on door weather stripping

I have that style on my 68 and will never use the glue on style. It's so much cleaner, quicker and stays in place! My truck seals great too
Posted via Mobile Device

oneoff 01-20-2013 12:25 PM

I'm replacing the seals on my build. Where do you get these seals from?

Mayo 01-20-2013 12:26 PM

I bought some from GMCPaul's and it was super easy to install. The only downside for me is it makes my doors a little harder to shut.

LockDoc 01-20-2013 12:33 PM

-
Dodge makes the best ones... '87-'97 Dodge Dakota, pick 'em up at your local salvage yard. You can find some nice ones for 5-10 bucks per pair. The nice thing is they are slip fit, you don't have to glue them on. Be sure to get the connector that joins them at the seam. Sometimes it falls out when you remove them. All you need is a phillips screwdriver, small hammer, and a prybar. You have to cut about 3" off the length...

For those that would rather have new ones or don't have a salvage yard close GMCPauls (a board vendor on here) sells them.

As Mayo said: "The only downside for me is it makes my doors a little harder to shut." but that is true for any new door weatherstripping.

LockDoc

68gmsee 01-20-2013 12:46 PM

I bought mine from GMCPaul's about 3-4 years ago and my truck sits outdoors in 100 plus summer heat and the 20's in winter. Haven't had a bit of problems with them other than closing problems mentioned above. I moved the striker bolt out slightly to compensate.

I also found out that it's better to slowly close the door to within 6-8 inches before pushing harder. The compressed air in the tighter cab makes it harder to close when you try to slam the door shut. Now, after 3 years, the doors shut easier but still a tight fit.

If you get brand new ones I recommend leaving at least a 1/4" or more on the bottom gap in case there's some shrinkage of the rubber. Best to bunch it up slightly than to have a gap later.

Lee H 01-20-2013 01:37 PM

The push in type are great seals, easy to use and do seal very well. I had them on my truck for a few years. During my build I worked very hard to get the gaps right, even and consistent both with the gap and the plane of the door with the fenders and cab. After all was correct the push on style would not allow the door to close without really slamming it, and it held the door a little off plane. I got a set of the original glue on ones and the doors now shut with very little effort. The push on style are a little wider and hold the door a little farther out. OBTW, the glue on ones are not very hard to install.

68gmsee 01-20-2013 05:52 PM

I installed the glue on style on my 69 with no problems either but another thing to consider is whether you are going to paint the truck in the future.

I installed the push on type on my 68 even though I have a set of glue on type. The reason is I'm going to be painting it some time in the future and didn't want to go through the trouble of peeling and scraping them off like I did the original ones.

zicc1835 01-20-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68gmsee (Post 5830812)
I installed the glue on style on my 69 with no problems either but another thing to consider is whether you are going to paint the truck in the future.

I installed the push on type on my 68 even though I have a set of glue on type. The reason is I'm going to be painting it some time in the future and didn't want to go through the trouble of peeling and scraping them off like I did the original ones.

can i ask what you used to get the glue off i stripped the old gasket off and will be painting and want to get it cleaned off completely
thanks

BowTieMan 01-20-2013 11:00 PM

I used ones for an 83-93 (first gen) S-10 on my 70 and they worked great and were the push on. I will be doing the same on my 69.

ole dollor 01-20-2013 11:55 PM

i think push on is the best, thats what i have on mine.

72 Super 01-22-2013 08:30 PM

Thanks for the information. I may try a set.

thanks,
Ray

leddzepp 01-22-2013 08:37 PM

Push on type are the best. A 5 year old can install them and they seal nice and tight eliminating wind noise and rattles.
Posted via Mobile Device

72 Super 01-22-2013 08:40 PM

Do any venders sell these?

thanks,
Ray

68gmsee 01-22-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zicc1835 (Post 5831413)
can i ask what you used to get the glue off i stripped the old gasket off and will be painting and want to get it cleaned off completely thanks

I could not get the old glue on mine off with any thing I tried. There may be something out there that won't hurt the paint but I basically peeled and scraped as much as I could. Real pain to get the old stuff off.

If you're going to repaint you could try a real soft brass wire wheel and a drill but it will still remove some paint.

Portmod7 01-22-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee H (Post 5830397)
The push in type are great seals, easy to use and do seal very well. I had them on my truck for a few years. During my build I worked very hard to get the gaps right, even and consistent both with the gap and the plane of the door with the fenders and cab. After all was correct the push on style would not allow the door to close without really slamming it, and it held the door a little off plane. I got a set of the original glue on ones and the doors now shut with very little effort. The push on style are a little wider and hold the door a little farther out. OBTW, the glue on ones are not very hard to install.

Ditto. Ordered a set of glue-on ones yesterday to replace my new push-on ones, I haven't even got the truck on the road for the "first time". The doors just don't shut right with the push-on seals. Some people seem to make them work, but not me.