The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steering column (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=565934)

eightbanger 02-13-2013 02:37 PM

Steering column

3 Attachment(s)
Hi folks...Tried to get an answer on this before, but nothing definitive.

I need to replace the middle bearing on my column, and I need advice on how to remove the part shown in the pic? (the bearing housing). I know the service manual suggests the use of a specific tool for the job....but where would one buy this tool?

Found a pic of the housing disassembled, but no info how.

ChevyCruizer 02-13-2013 03:45 PM

Re: Steering column

Man, I was just gonna build a how to on this...

I am gonna resize and upload a few photos for you. Hang on

eightbanger 02-13-2013 03:50 PM

I'm hangin, I'm hangin...:lol:

82chevylsx 02-13-2013 03:53 PM

the way i do it is look for some fine tread screw's put them in there and just use some plier's to pull them out......hope this work's...

ChevyCruizer 02-13-2013 03:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ok, they make a special tool for this and I own it...but I cant find it so I threw this together last night and it worked like a charm.

Get a 8/32 machine screw, nut, washer, and a 1/2 inch socket in 1/4 inch drive.

If you use a different socket just make sure the inner edges clear the pins that you are trying to pull out.

Spray pins with your favorite penetrating oil.

1) Thread nut up the screw and then place washer on screw.
2) Place socket on to screw with large open end away from nut, washer, screw head.
3) Tighten screw (with all other parts installed) into the pin that you are trying to remove.
4) Now grab a wrench that fits the nut and tighten the nut down onto the washer/socket. As you tighten the nut, the pin is pulled up into the socket.

It should work right out. In my opinion this is way better than using just a screw and pliers to yank it out and a lot easier than using a slide hammer. If the screw is too loose it can bottom out in the pin and break off. I had this happen with the actual proper removal tool before and then you are in for a lot of work.

Thanks, John

ChevyCruizer 02-13-2013 04:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is my question for you...what did you use to remove the large nut that is on the upper tilting steering shaft? A 15/16 wrench seems to fit "2 flats" but the 12 point box end of the wrench is too big. The next SEA wrench is too small and I checked metric 20-22 last night and they dont fit either. Sizes are all if my memory is correct.

Thanks, John

I thought my bearing were bad also but once I got it apart last night I found that my plastic nuckle (centering sphere) was broken into pieces and my joints were hitting the bolts and side of the housing. So I am searching for the plastic nuckle (centering sphere)

eightbanger 02-13-2013 04:21 PM

This is fantastic John!! now I can get this done all the way through without stopping at the hard part.:lol:

I took that nut off just using an adjustable plumbers wrench...nothing in my assortment of sockets was long enough to reach.

Wes at Classic Heartbeat is who I used for all the bearings, he must keep that knuckle also.

I wonder what horrors await down my shaft...:lol:

You're a gentleman sir....thank you.

ChevyCruizer 02-13-2013 04:38 PM

No worries, glad to help. Thanks for the link, I will give Wes a ring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbanger (Post 5886672)
I wonder what horrors await down my shaft...:lol:.

eightbanger 02-13-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyCruizer (Post 5886703)
No worries, glad to help. Thanks for the link, I will give Wes a ring.

John, Wes has PM'D me and said GM calls it a sphere unit and he can have one in two days. $14.95.

ChevyCruizer 02-14-2013 12:04 PM

Great, and thanks. I actually emailed him and will prob order one today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbanger (Post 5886854)
John, Wes has PM'D me and said GM calls it a sphere unit and he can have one in two days. $14.95.

ChevyCruizer 03-04-2013 02:12 PM

I ended up going to the pick a part and used the home-made tool pictured above and pulled apart a 73+ tilt column. I grabbed the plastic centering sphere out of that and it works in our older columns.

I temp installed everything to check for slop and it was good to go. I now pulled everything back apart and want to prep it for paint or powder coat.

Still looking for the large socket for the upper tilt bearing nut.

Thanks, John