The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My 56 Stepside LSx Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=567900)

56SS 02-25-2013 02:06 PM

My 56 Stepside LSx Build

1 Attachment(s)
Today is Day 1, the truck is being delivered today!!
Still needs some work to be on the road, but I am excited to get it there:metal:

dmack91 02-25-2013 02:21 PM

Re: My 56 Stepside LSx Build

Well, for Day 1, I would usually say good start. However, you are well past the start phase.

Details and updates are always welcome.

And welcome to the forum.

Kim57 02-25-2013 06:12 PM

Welcome to the board.
Nice looking truck.
What are its specs?
We need more pics.
Kim

56SS 02-25-2013 06:21 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome.
I just got the truck today, and will have to upload some more pics when I get home for Spring Break(Senior at Michigan State University).
I am excited to go home to see the truck in my own barn.

Currently, the truck has a 5.3L out of a 2001 Silverado and a 4l60e transmission from a late 90s van. It has a tilt column installed with a 78 Camaro subframe, converted to a 6 lug to match the stock 56 read end. As it sits, it needs a wiring harness and fuel system to fire up. I plan on going through a company to have the harness made, and am still feeling out my options for the gas tank/pump (open to suggestions, I would prefer something that will bolt right in). The interior still needs to be completed, but it currently has buckets from a 05 trailblazer in it.

The truck still needs quite a bit of work (driveshaft, bed finished up, etc.) but I am more than happy with my purchase.

I'm planning on building this truck to drive, that's what they are for! I love the LSx swaps, the older body styles are unmatched and with an updated drivetrain, I can use this truck as my daily driver, and I am excited to get started on the project.

Indian113 02-25-2013 06:28 PM

Nice looking truck,I used a fuel cell in my S10 and a Speedway LS fuel pump and regulator. The pump is a little noisy but seems to work fine,I've put a 1000 miles on my S10 since I got it running. Come on over to the LS part of the board and you'll meet som real smart guy's that can answer any ? you have. Ray

Denee007 02-25-2013 08:58 PM

Omg! It's beautiful !!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 02-25-2013 10:34 PM

Totally agree. That color is just fantastic.

"Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" - and I am NOT above being very flattering, lol!

56SS 02-25-2013 10:40 PM

I actually bought the truck with this paint on it, and the color is what sealed the deal for me! I believe I mentioned in my other post, but the color is Avocado Pearl, a House of Kolors color, and it looks very nice in person. I'll have to upload some more pictures here in the next few days

blue57 02-25-2013 11:15 PM

Thats a hell of a start you have got yourself. Most of us start with a rust bucket or someone elses turd:lol: I used Street & Performances wiring harness. They are in Arkansas. Really clean harness. Where is your tank located? Mine is in the rear of the frame and i used a fuel pump thats an inline pump used in vettes as well as the fuel filter.

56SS 02-25-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue57 (Post 5913107)
Thats a hell of a start you have got yourself. Most of us start with a rust bucket or someone elses turd:lol: I used Street & Performances wiring harness. They are in Arkansas. Really clean harness. Where is your tank located? Mine is in the rear of the frame and i used a fuel pump thats an inline pump used in vettes as well as the fuel filter.

Haha, you're telling me! I couldn't be happier with what I'm starting with. I have heard of a couple of guys running their harness, how are they on prices?

I don't have a tank set up yet, but a friend of mine has a 02 silverado tank, with the in-tank fuel pump and sending unit that he is giving me for free, so I am leaning towards trying to mount that under the bed so I can plug it straight in and be good to go. I'm just bouncing ideas around and trying to determine what I'm going to go with.

blue57 02-25-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 56SS (Post 5913160)
Haha, you're telling me! I couldn't be happier with what I'm starting with. I have heard of a couple of guys running their harness, how are they on prices?

I don't have a tank set up yet, but a friend of mine has a 02 silverado tank, with the in-tank fuel pump and sending unit that he is giving me for free, so I am leaning towards trying to mount that under the bed so I can plug it straight in and be good to go. I'm just bouncing ideas around and trying to determine what I'm going to go with.

Not sure about the silverado tank working.... you can buy an aftermarket tank that bolts where the spare tire is supposed to go. Cant remember the price for the harness i would have to dig for the receipt. It wasnt to bad though.

56SS 03-03-2013 02:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey all,

Got a chance to work on the truck today! My grandpa, who has been a car guy his whole life, came out to give me a hand and guide me. We managed to get the steering situation worked out (or so I thought) and shortened the camaro intermediate shaft to fit my column. With some grinding and cutting, we made it work. Come to find out that my turn radius when turning the wheel to the left is not quite right (doesn't go far enough) but right side is good.

The front wheel is off in the pics because I took it off to let a friend gauge tire sizes for the 34 pickup he is building.

I also cleaned up and organized some things, but my wiring harness for the engine comes Tuesday, so that is the big update I have so far!

Trying to get to the point where I can fill up my "blank canvas" (interior).