The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Swaybar question. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=571416)

Agent915 03-19-2013 02:24 PM

Swaybar question.

I just received a swaybar that I purchased on-line from a salvage yard. Its for my 69 C10 SWB chassis. When I first contacted the yard it was because they had one available for a 1 ton truck. I believe it was a 1 1/4". I bought it. The guy from the yard calls me later that afternoon and tells me there is a problem with the swaybar. I asked if he priced it wrong? He said "No, my guy cut it getting it off." I was like.....what!? Anyway, he had one from a half ton so I bought it instead and it arrived today. Now my question is this. Should I use the swaybar from the half ton or wait and find a heavier one? Is there that much NOTICABLE difference in the handling between the two?

Thanks!

DesertCat 03-19-2013 03:16 PM

Re: Swaybar question.

To what degree you could tell the difference depends on many variables. That said, some swaybar is waaaaaay better than no swaybar.

Agent915 03-19-2013 05:47 PM

Thanks for the reply! I have completely rebuilt the frontend with poly bushings and a MgGuaghy's drop/disc kit, so everything is new with the exception of the a-arms. The only thing I didn't have was the swaybar. I measured the one I got today and its a 1 1/16th, the one I wanted was 1 1/4 inch. I hate that moron cut it, I mean its not like the sawsall slipped and cut it in half! I just thought the larger diameter bar might make it handle better. I'm not building a pro-touring slot racer, just a solid BBC/TH400 combo for fun on the weekend. A guy here told me to go with the 1 1/16th one because the other one from the 3/4 or 1 ton would be too stiff and would have a negative effect on the ride quality. He said it would be too harsh to enjoy.

N2TRUX 03-20-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent915 (Post 5957716)
A guy here told me to go with the 1 1/16th one because the other one from the 3/4 or 1 ton would be too stiff and would have a negative effect on the ride quality. He said it would be too harsh to enjoy.

I love it when people offer advice that do not have a clue as to what they are talking about. Tell your buddy to get his facts straight before he offers any more assistance.

I have a 1 1/4" bar from a C20 on my 77 Cheyenne thats bagged. It made a very big improvement in the handling and body roll. It did NOT make my ride stiff or harsh in any way.

The 1 1/16" should work just fine, but the bigger bar would be better.

SCOTI 03-20-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 5959127)
I love it when people offer advice that do not have a clue as to what they are talking about. Tell your buddy to get his facts straight before he offers any more assistance.

I have a 1 1/4" bar from a C20 on my 77 Cheyenne thats bagged. It made a very big improvement in the handling and body roll. It did NOT make my ride stiff or harsh in any way.

The 1 1/16" should work just fine, but the bigger bar would be better.

Exactly.

Agent915 03-20-2013 04:24 PM

Thanks guys!

I'm going ahead with the one I have but I'll keep my eyes open for a 1 1/4" bar. The yard told me they would refund the cost of the swaybar if I decided I didn't want it, but it would be cheaper just to keep and use it than to pay shipping to return it. When I do find a 1 1/4" I'll swap them out and who knows, there may be a board member who would be interested in the 1 1/16" bar.

Thanks again!!

One more thing. Should I use the ECE mounts or just bolt the bushings straight to the frame? I've seen several done both ways. I have a 4.5" drop with roughly 28" front tire.

SCOTI 03-20-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent915 (Post 5959732)
Thanks guys!

I'm going ahead with the one I have but I'll keep my eyes open for a 1 1/4" bar. The yard told me they would refund the cost of the swaybar if I decided I didn't want it, but it would be cheaper just to keep and use it than to pay shipping to return it. When I do find a 1 1/4" I'll swap them out and who knows, there may be a board member who would be interested in the 1 1/16" bar.

Thanks again!!

One more thing. Should I use the ECE mounts or just bolt the bushings straight to the frame? I've seen several done both ways. I have a 4.5" drop with roughly 28" front tire.

Do you already have the ECE mounts? If not, try installing the bar w/o them & see if things go together easily.

My drops are typically 5-6 in the front so I just bolt the bushings directly to the frame (spindles + spring or bag drop). I planned to do the same w/my dually but I dropped it a little differently (spindles + notched x-member) & the bar seemed to be in bind (under compression sitting in the shop) so I utilized the frame stands.

Agent915 03-20-2013 05:49 PM

No I haven't bought them yet. Will the swaybar be just as effective if I bolt it straight to the frame?

lolife99 03-20-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent915 (Post 5959889)
No I haven't bought them yet. Will the swaybar be just as effective if I bolt it straight to the frame?

yes.

andrewmp6 03-21-2013 01:32 AM

I have never seen where going up in sway bar size had any problems handling or ride.I think he was thinking about springs if you run a real stiff springs it will ride rougher.

LONGHAIR 03-21-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewmp6 (Post 5960837)
I have never seen where going up in sway bar size had any problems handling or ride.I think he was thinking about springs if you run a real stiff springs it will ride rougher.

It can. A sway bar's function takes away some of the "independence" of an independent suspension, so it can make rough roads worse. Big potholes and bumps that would only have an effect on one wheel transfer to both. The bigger the bar, the more it acts on the whole truck.
On good pavement, no, you will never notice a ride stiffness change.
It can be over-done on either end, balance is the key.