The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Help for the timid..bag it ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=579545)

48 GMC BURB 05-09-2013 09:11 PM

Help for the timid..bag it ?

I have a 74 short bed &want to drop it for fun but still need to use it as a real truck will bags carry the load or should I go with drop spindles ?
TKS KC:confused::
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

andrewmp6 05-09-2013 11:34 PM

Re: Help for the timid..bag it ?

Yes air bags can handle weight fine every semi on the road has them on the rear suspension.One of my friends has a bagged s10 and he hauls his atv in the bed all the time no problems.

Square_78 05-10-2013 07:06 AM

With bags you can haul more than you can with your stock springs. A properly installed air bag suspension is much better than a stock setup in regards to towing and load carrying.
Posted via Mobile Device

Square_78 05-10-2013 07:08 AM

You don't need drop spindles on your 74 unless you want to lay it on the ground. You can get 4-5" drop in front just with bolt in bag plates and short lower cups. Anymore than 4-5" drop without spindles and you will run into problems with alignment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pro Performance 05-10-2013 03:49 PM

I prefer the bags due to the better ride, and the adjustability aspect is a huge plus in my opinion. You can bag without spindles, but I would recommend them.

Let us know if we can help you out with any of the parts.

- Travis

jimmydean 05-10-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Performance (Post 6063394)
I prefer the bags due to the better ride, and the adjustability aspect is a huge plus in my opinion.

Agreed, the ride quality in my '69 on bags vs the 40 year old springs was amazing. I have a pic of my '69 at ride height with a ton of hay in the bed. Just add PSI.

48 GMC BURB 05-10-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Square_78 (Post 6062626)
You don't need drop spindles on your 74 unless you want to lay it on the ground. You can get 4-5" drop in front just with bolt in bag plates and short lower cups. Anymore than 4-5" drop without spindles and you will run into problems with alignment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Performance (Post 6063394)
I prefer the bags due to the better ride, and the adjustability aspect is a huge plus in my opinion. You can bag without spindles, but I would recommend them.

Let us know if we can help you out with any of the parts.

- Travis

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewmp6 (Post 6062334)
Yes air bags can handle weight fine every semi on the road has them on the rear suspension.One of my friends has a bagged s10 and he hauls his atv in the bed all the time no problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmydean (Post 6063421)
Agreed, the ride quality in my '69 on bags vs the 40 year old springs was amazing. I have a pic of my '69 at ride height with a ton of hay in the bed. Just add PSI.

Thaks for the 411 guys, I think Ill try bagging this one..Sweet build Square..Travis how much for a basic setup I don't need speed just reliable .

wraprail 05-11-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Square_78 (Post 6062626)
Posted via Mobile Device

You should awalys start with drop spindles. It is the best way to drop without affecting steering angles or having any alignment issues. It's like getting a free 2.5-3 inches of drop. Any drop you get from air bags will affect steering (toe) and alignment ( camber) which will affect tire wear and handling. How much depends on how much drop. While you may indeed get 4"-5" of drop with just bolt in plates, bags and cups you would be much better off with a 3" spindle And getting the other 1"-2" from the bags. Thats if the OP's target is actually to go that low.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pro Performance 05-13-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 48 GMC BURB (Post 6064124)
Thaks for the 411 guys, I think Ill try bagging this one..Sweet build Square..Travis how much for a basic setup I don't need speed just reliable .

There are a few ways to go, but we can set you up with something a nice system. Ideally you will want to 4-link, because in the long run, this will be the way to go.

PM Sent with some extended information and pricing.

andrewmp6 05-14-2013 04:01 AM

A few things you should think about first is budget and how low you want to go.You can get pretty low with out cutting the bed but if you want to lay frame then cutting and budget come in to play a lot.

N2TRUX 05-14-2013 10:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
FYI- This is how low you can go running stock fender liners and without cutting the bed.