The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Newly done Cliff Ruggles Qjet (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=599603)

rsavage 10-07-2013 10:02 PM

Newly done Cliff Ruggles Qjet

Installed my newly Ruggles rebuilt Qjet on the Blazer today. Very pleased with the end product. Looks great and ran perfectly out of the box. I've rebuilt several Q jets but wanted to see what one done by the guru would be like. A year on the waiting list and a couple of months for completion and it was delivered.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...psba4bcbd5.jpg

jaros44sr 10-07-2013 11:04 PM

Re: Newly done Cliff Ruggles Qjet

Very nice, looks like you got it plated to. Sooooo, does the truck run better?

rsavage 10-08-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6304711)
Very nice, looks like you got it plated to. Sooooo, does the truck run better?

Jim,
It definitely appears to but it was pouring here all day yesterday so it was garage run only. I'll road test today. It was plated. He charges an extra $125 for that but I show the truck so it seemed like a reasonable thing to do. He tailors the carb to your engine - heads,cam, etc. New jets, primary and secodary metering rods, choke pull off bottom plugs, bushings, kit etc.

jaros44sr 10-08-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsavage (Post 6304974)
Jim,
It definitely appears to but it was pouring here all day yesterday so it was garage run only. I'll road test today. It was plated. He charges an extra $125 for that but I show the truck so it seemed like a reasonable thing to do. He tailors the carb to your engine - heads,cam, etc. New jets, primary and secodary metering rods, choke pull off bottom plugs, bushings, kit etc.

Hope the weather cleared for you today. Amazing how ruggles still answers the shop phone, and will talk carbs with you.....

Hope the carb runs as good as it looks

rsavage 10-09-2013 07:01 AM

Took it out for a ride Tuesday and it runs nice. Response is seamless. No leakdown when shut off hot and very smooth. I didn't notice much of a change in acceleration but a 350 Blazer with 3.07 gears and 31 inch tires is never going to be a high performance machine. If the weather holds, I will take it to Penn Yan this Saturday which is a two hour ride each way. I guess there is a show there and it should be a good leaf looking trip. Should be a nice shakedown.

jaros44sr 10-10-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsavage (Post 6306510)
Took it out for a ride Tuesday and it runs nice. Response is seamless. No leakdown when shut off hot and very smooth. I didn't notice much of a change in acceleration but a 350 Blazer with 3.07 gears and 31 inch tires is never going to be a high performance machine. If the weather holds, I will take it to Penn Yan this Saturday which is a two hour ride each way. I guess there is a show there and it should be a good leaf looking trip. Should be a nice shakedown.

Yeah, youre right, those 3:07's kill any hope of decent acceleration. But, still nice to have a perfect running carb! Enjoy your leaf blowing trip, hope you do well if a car show is going on. Hope the weather holds for ya

What catagories do they judge on....

cleszkie 10-10-2013 04:15 PM

You must have the patience of a Budhist monk to be on a waiting list for a year, and wait another few months for the rebuild. But I understand the end product is top notch.

rsavage 10-10-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleszkie (Post 6308669)
You must have the patience of a Budhist monk to be on a waiting list for a year, and wait another few months for the rebuild. But I understand the end product is top notch.

I have a couple of extra Qjets so the truck was operable and used the whole time I was on the waiting list. I sent him one of the extras to refurb when my name came up.

rsavage 10-10-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6308512)
Yeah, youre right, those 3:07's kill any hope of decent acceleration. But, still nice to have a perfect running carb! Enjoy your leaf blowing trip, hope you do well if a car show is going on. Hope the weather holds for ya

What catagories do they judge on....

I don't have a clue. I have never been to this show before. The blurb says it will be professionally judged but I didn't see any breakdown of classes so I don't know if that means it will be like a AACA show (I highly doubt it) or just some supposedly knowledgable car guys walking around picking out what they like.

rayray767 10-13-2013 10:18 AM

Looks real nice !

geezer#99 10-15-2013 10:15 AM

Nice carb, clean engine!
If you want to keep it that way replace that rubber fuel line with a proper steel tubing line.
Nothin' like the thrill of seeing raw gas boiling on the intake just before the flash into a towering inferno!!