The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Telescopic rear bumper (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=611545)

Joe Cool 01-11-2014 01:01 AM

Telescopic rear bumper

Installed on a 68 GMC....the bumper is missing but its on an option sheet

Anybody know what that is?

70LonghornCST 01-11-2014 01:35 AM

Re: Telescopic rear bumper

Hi Joe Cool!
This is very interesting. I know that VWs had these as an option. This is the first truck application that I have heard. Hopefully someone will chime in.
-Richard

mgchevyparts 01-11-2014 01:36 AM

what is it?

FirstOwner69 01-11-2014 01:36 AM

I bought my 69 to carry a camper that extended beyond the end of the bed about 3 feet. In order to protect the rear of the camper, provide a step into the camper and mount the license plate where it could be seen, I bought an extending/telescopic step bumper from the dealer and had it installed prior to delivery. It was listed on the sales contract as "expand-o-matic bumper". It could be extended a little more than 3 feet. Over the years, I modified it to work on 2 other trucks I used to carry the camper. I still have it but I don't have any pictures. It looks like most of the period correct step bumpers when not extended.

I never heard of them being available from the factory.

rsavage 01-11-2014 09:15 AM

I also had one on my 71 c30 Longhorn I had years ago for the same reason. The bumper brackets were 2" square tube that slid into receivers bolted to the frame. Both the receivers and the square tubes coming out of the bumper had holes drilled in them so that the bumper could be secured in either the in position or the out position with 1/2" bolts. It worked really well with the camper. I am pretty positive it was a dealer installed bumper, not a factory piece.

special-K 01-11-2014 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This:

FirstOwner69 01-11-2014 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
special-K's picture reminded me that I do have this shot with the wife standing on the bumper.

MusicMan70 01-11-2014 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Under my 70, and the 73 has a square tube version.

Joe Cool 01-11-2014 04:54 PM

Thanks all the fine replys.......very helpful. I saw it not on a SPID but rather on a printed sheet under the seat. The SPID was missing but the option sheet was under the seat. The bumper is missing but it is a camper truck......

Those were the days........Love those pictures!

Thanks!:metal:

FirstOwner69 01-11-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicMan70 (Post 6465531)
Under my 70, and the 73 has a square tube version.

Mine is the round tube version.

Joe Cool 01-11-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 (Post 6465400)
special-K's picture reminded me that I do have this shot with the wife standing on the bumper.

What camper model is that?........sure looks like a nice one.....I would not mind having that camper even today!

Joe Cool 01-11-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 (Post 6465400)

I see a Honda 305 Scrambler in the picture!

jocko 01-11-2014 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's another pic of one - this on my 71. It wasn't on the spid or the bs, it was added on by a po somewhere along the line.

Joe Cool 01-11-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 6466026)
here's another pic of one - this on my 71. It wasn't on the spid or the bs, it was added on by a po somewhere along the line.

I am sure this was a dealer add on

How about spot lights? Dealer add on I guess

FirstOwner69 01-12-2014 12:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cool (Post 6465996)
What camper model is that?........sure looks like a nice one.....I would not mind having that camper even today!

The bike is a 1969 Honda CL175.

The camper is a 1969 Four Winds 11 footer. It was made in Orange or Santa Ana California. The company went defunct in about 1974. It is in no way related to the Four Winds RVs of today. I still have it today. Just stored. No longer use it. Here are some pics of the interior taken a few years ago. Very 1969ish decor.

Joe Cool 01-12-2014 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 (Post 6466299)
The bike is a 1969 Honda CL175.

The camper is a 1969 Four Winds 11 footer. It was made in Orange or Santa Ana California. The company went defunct in about 1974. It is in no way related to the Four Winds RVs of today. I still have it today. Just stored. No longer use it. Here are some pics of the interior taken a few years ago. Very 1969ish decor.

I have had a couple of truck campers and never have seen that kitchen layout....way cool.......I bet that baby weighed alot.......did you get some white knuckles driving that srw truck with all that weight?

You are the blast from the past........the exterior of that camper really look cool
Looks ahead of its time........did it leak a lot......most of those old Tc did...

want to sell it?:mm:

FirstOwner69 01-12-2014 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Cool (Post 6466360)
I have had a couple of truck campers and never have seen that kitchen layout....way cool.......I bet that baby weighed alot.......did you get some white knuckles driving that srw truck with all that weight?

You are the blast from the past........the exterior of that camper really look cool
Looks ahead of its time........did it leak a lot......most of those old Tc did...

want to sell it?:mm:

I always estimated the weight at 2800#. I weighed the truck and loaded camper with the wife onboard. I believe it was 7140#. Truck GVWR is 7500#.Yes, there were many white knuckle moments, especially with coil springs. I only haul campers on duallys now days. No comparison. The L-shaped kitchen floor plan was great. I wish the new campers had that floorplan. No significant leaks. The last couple times I used it, there was some slight leakage around the front window when driving. Not when parked. Sealed everything in sight to no avail.

special-K 01-12-2014 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These were not an RPO. They were aftermarket and GM dealers offered them.
No one asked,but while we're talking campers (there's a great thread somewhere in the back pages),my camper was a Huntsman made in KS and CA. Lock Doc had one on a Custom Camper he bought. I thought I had a picture,didn't find one. Mine had real cherry veneer and the truck didn't feel it,except smooth the ride a bit. It didn't feel heavy at all and the truck pulled like it was empty. All the pictures I have of campers are from the front. Here is another Huntsman on a truck a member bought in CA.

Joe Cool 01-12-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 6466596)
These were not an RPO. They were aftermarket and GM dealers offered them.
No one asked,but while we're talking campers (there's a great thread somewhere in the back pages),my camper was a Huntsman made in KS and CA. Lock Doc had one on a Custom Camper he bought. I thought I had a picture,didn't find one. Mine had real cherry veneer and the truck didn't feel it,except smooth the ride a bit. It didn't feel heavy at all and the truck pulled like it was empty. All the pictures I have of campers are from the front. Here is another Huntsman on a truck a member bought in CA.

That tie down is unreal...........thanks for the cool picture