The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lifter and valve noises..? Low profile covers an issue? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=633584)

briscuba 06-24-2014 01:08 PM

Lifter and valve noises..? Low profile covers an issue?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I recently bought a 1970 original 402 bb in my CST/10. I have done a full tune up, and valve adjustment. Valve train seems to be fine. I am still hearing a light "ticking" noise coming from my motor - as I did when I bought it. Knowing it was an older motor, I put high millage oil as well as Lucas additive. I thought that would quite it down, but no luck. I have ruled out exhaust leak for the most part (Headman headers, common issue, I know...) as it really seems to be a metallic sound.

I have heard that on some of the late 60s big blocks, that the low-profile (mine) valve covers sometimes were a problem. Can anyone confirm this? Do the rockers sometimes hit the cover, and make noise? I attached a pic of truck and motor.

Thanks for your input!

Chevy Brian

1970 CST Short Wide 06-24-2014 01:27 PM

Re: Lifter and valve noises..? Low profile covers an issue?

I bought a 1970 454 from a Chevelle Wagon for my truck. When I got it, it had 4 DEAD lobes on the camshaft. After 3 cam changes using COMP Lunati and Isky, all Hydraulic Cams, it still sounded like it had solid lifters. I even had the lifter bores redone ($$$$$$) and bought $400 worth of Roller Rockers - Still the ticking. SO I put a Lunati Solid lifter Cam in it so they can all make a little noise. It actually sounds quitter with the solids than it did with a Hydraulic COMP. Go figure. I’ve since been told that some Big Blocks make noise – Ya no kidding- So I’ve learned to not worry about it and Drive it like I Stole it. Way more fun

Yes the low profile valve covers can resonate the noise. I have tall Aluminum covers

Sorry for the Rant Good Luck

briscuba 06-24-2014 02:43 PM

Yes, Aluminum TALLER covers would be a good idea, thanks!

davepl 06-24-2014 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to use spacers on a motor that had roller rockers. I'll stick a photo below. As you can see I was trying not to draw attention to them.

But for stock rockers, unless the baffles or drippers or something are bent, it should be fine.

You might want to get a mechanics stethoscope, or even a piece of PVC pipe and listen and see if you can narrow down the location.

Also feel along the valve cover; if you feel any tapping, there's something interfering.

However, when you see hoof prints, think horses, not zebras. Maybe there's something simpler, like a dirty lifter or loose rocker?

All my big blocks are quiet, or at least quieter than everything else going on when they're running!