The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is this truck overpriced? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=674801)

paulkaminskijr 06-25-2015 11:29 AM

Is this truck overpriced?

Hey guys, I'm going to look at a '71 C10 Cheyenne today and I think it's overpriced.

Here's the link to the listing: http://www.grautogallery.com/vehicle...-Chevrolet-C10

I've seen this truck in person already. The woodgrain veneer on the lower moldings is peeling off and the moldings themselves don't look straight to me. The seat is ripped (minor) and there are a few scuff marks in the paint (they're calling it patina, no way) that they don't show very well on the listing.

Overall its got 13k miles on it, Texas, Oklahoma and California owned. They're marketing it as "highly optioned and highly original" but it has dual exhaust (which from what I understand was only an option on the BBC trucks).

They say it would be a shame if anyone redid the paint but I think I'd want to and the trim needs to be freshened up.

They're asking $19,900, I'm seeing $12,500.

What do you guys think?

leddzepp 06-25-2015 11:45 AM

Re: Is this truck overpriced?

Make an offer and see what happens. It's a very nice truck. It's worth what you are willing to pay for it :)

I sold my Cheyenne Super a few years back for close to 12K and it was nowhere near as nice as this one.

67 cst swb 06-25-2015 11:48 AM

Good luck getting that for under$17k or $18k from a dealer.
No need to nit-pick that one. You should see what is out there that people are asking $12k for.
I think if you are wanting to spend $12,000- $15,000 you are looking at the wrong truck.
That's a low mileage 71 Black on Black CST with Tilt, AC V-8 PS Posi and Auto.
I think it is worth more than $12,500
Just my opinion.

Twisted78SS 06-25-2015 11:49 AM

For my area (Portland Oregon) the 19k price tag is on par if not low for a truck in that original condition.. We see a bunch of them sell in that range, most are not anywhere near that original. It also depends on whether or not your plans would include keeping it original. it might not be worth that much to someone who plans on doing modifications..

paulkaminskijr 06-25-2015 12:02 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys. We'll see what happens. They just took the truck in on trade, end of the month, who knows. I haven't been real optimistic about getting the price down very far.

GRX 06-25-2015 12:18 PM

One in that condition would fetch the asking price easily here in the rust laden mid atlantic region.

Jason Banks 06-25-2015 12:20 PM

Looks like a fair price to me.

engineer_gregh 06-25-2015 01:32 PM

Thats a very nice truck. A/C has been converted, it has a POA update with pressure switch. Hubcaps are from a 73 up chevy truck, spare tire carrier is there but thats not the original spare tire obviously. Factory black, A/C, Tilt, and Posi; if the frame matches the SPID and drivers door sticker, I would say they are very reasonable on the price especially considering its a dealer.

boraxman 06-25-2015 01:55 PM

I wouldnt expect them to come down much - Sounds like they know theyre stuff. Also im thinking that the truck will bring close to asking/

Steve Cole 06-25-2015 02:56 PM

That truck is worth every penny they are asking in my opinion. I would buy it and drive it.

Orange Crate 06-25-2015 03:12 PM

Try and build one for less than that....Just buy it already and have fun driving it (plus all the comments that come with driving a completely cool classic)

powerhaulic 06-25-2015 03:17 PM

Thant truck is worth 18k+ all day long!

69 GMC Daily Driver 06-25-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulkaminskijr (Post 7221140)
What do you guys think?

^
Based on what I have looked at in my market and in neighboring states it would bring $25,000. If you are able to purchase that truck for $18K I would still consider you a wheeler dealer of extraordinary means. I have seen trucks that brought over $50K still need something.

asolde 06-25-2015 03:46 PM

I would take a better look at it before paying that price. I am wondering about the bed of the truck what's under that mat? Either the mat is wavy or the bed has been hammered. Just my opinion

Dirt's72 06-25-2015 03:55 PM

Curious as to why the vin print is much bolder than all the other print on the spid.
A "real original" Cheyenne super shortbed was for sale here recently with a fibbed up spid. With all the cut up long beds nowadays you gots to be careful!

leftybass209 06-25-2015 04:57 PM

By any chance is your name Richard Rawlings? Do you own a shop called Gas Monkey Garage? The reason I ask is because 12k is the ridiculous number he'd offer just before putting a sticker in the window and selling it for 30k. That truck barring any bondo issues is easily what they're asking in parts alone.

Tim Christian 06-25-2015 05:01 PM

Hubcaps are wrong color rather then that a very nice truck.

Custom/Ten 06-26-2015 12:09 AM

Man that's a sweet ride! I'm on a phone so hard to tell but I thought it looked like the rear main was leaking. Other than that and the driverside door trim it looked really clean.

mike16 06-26-2015 12:45 AM

I dont know the market but its a nice truck.could you build one for that price? probably not. but if its wort that price, it raises the value of my truck too.

Dustmaker65 06-26-2015 11:50 AM

Best way to tell if something is over priced...wait a week or two and see if they still have it.

Works everytime I sit back and think about the price of something, and usually it is gone :(

68Gold/white 06-26-2015 12:40 PM

Man, Whew!!! I was glad to read it's rear wheel drive!!! The 71 front wheel drive pickups are hard to find parts for!!! :D

Coley 06-26-2015 01:14 PM

Thats a great looking truck and I agree with most of the guys here that it is probably worth what they are asking for it.
You have to ask yourself if your purchasing endeavor is driven by a fixed budget? (ie: 12k maximum) or based on a particular condition truck?...ideally priced well.
In the interest of natural negotiation and selling something quickly you might find that if you can do an immediate cash buy/sale they will have some latitude on that price.
If you are 'truck driven' and like that particular truck specifically...then maybe go in with $17,500 cash and say you will take it right now and show them the cash...and see what they have to say BUT, take the money with you.
That would be a very good purchase for that amount in my opinion. If they smile and say no...then you know, you are going to have to look for a different truck or come up with more money.
Nice truck tho' either way!
All Good
Coley

jerry moss 06-26-2015 11:21 PM

even out here in cali thats a fair price IF it is as advertised. the misprint on the SPID for tilt steering makes me wonder if it's original or put together truck. if it is a rustfree original then i'd say jump on it, as stated above you damn sure can't build one that nice for under 20K.

jocko 06-26-2015 11:47 PM

I like for the simple fact the dealer hasn't slapped 'Super' nameplates under the Cheyennes and is trying to sell it as something it's not.

Personally, I think $19k is a little high - BUT, they will come down a little I bet. Are you willing to pay $16-17K? If not, don't waste time worrying about it. It does appear pretty original, even if it may have been repainted (not sure on that). The yellow in the steering wheel and the hub caps is 73-75 stuff, but EASILY remedied. Aside from it being black, it's not exactly a "special" truck. But it is pretty darn nice and not all screwed up by a dealer (yet).