The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   blazer stalls (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=67504)

MJN 09-05-2003 06:12 PM

blazer stalls

My blazer will stall after short trips or after climbing a hill (lots of throttle) I stopped at a stop sign and it died, so I wiggled the power wire to the distrbutor and it fired up again. It's an HEI and I put a wire off a '78 truck on it so the module won't burn out. It might just be a loose conection at the cap but if you guys have any idea of what it might be it would definately be appreciated, since I'm so far from home right now. thanks in advance!

bouncytruck 09-05-2003 07:13 PM

Are you sure is isn't a carb problem?

Leinie 09-05-2003 08:48 PM

I'd check the distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter,fuel pump, timing and then start looking at the carb.

MJN 09-06-2003 12:18 AM

seems like electrical, because everytime it happens I lose all power. no lights, radio, nothing, until I wiggle that power wire and it all comes back.

Russell 09-07-2003 01:21 AM

I would find out where it is loosing connection in that wire, then just replace that certain spot...

MJN 09-07-2003 10:11 AM

I'm going to look at it today. and see what I can see. I'll let you know what happens.

MJN 09-08-2003 08:10 PM

I checked everything out today, can't figure out why I lose power to everything but the carb may have a part in it stalling. I had a little trouble with it on the trip up to school and I know it's not the greatest carb either. All the wiring looked good and was plugged in good so when I get another chance, most likely this weekend, I'll looke for a short of some kind.

bouncytruck 09-09-2003 11:53 AM

I had problems with the plug that goes into the back of the ignition switch. It was totally melted. The truck would shut off randomly. Sometime, I could start it right back up, other times, it would take 5-10 minutes. It took me forever to track down the problem. rebuilt the carb, put on a new cab, control module (HEI), plug wires and finally a whole new distributor. I was about to replace the fuel pump, too. For some reason, I decided to remove all the extra wires under the dash from previous owners stereos and discovered the failed plug. It was a cheap fix (also got a new ignition switch and new key cylindar at the same time.)

MJN 09-09-2003 01:35 PM

I'll take alook at it can't hurt I guess. thanks

MJN 09-11-2003 11:04 PM

not the ignition switch but thanks, I had problems today again, wiggled the alt. wired and it fired up. I think it's time for a whole new harness in this thing. Just have to fine the time, seems to be more valuable than money lately.

MJN 09-28-2003 05:55 PM

I think I figured it out. The drivers side fuse holder in the front harness was broken off the wire. After I spliced another in (while in the dorm parking lot and in the rain) it fired up and the battery gauge is working now. I also fixed my heater core in the parking lot and now have heat and a defroster once again. Thanks for your suggestions guys!