The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trouble getting my 70 C10 to run again (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=685108)

zakhigel 10-12-2015 01:31 PM

Trouble getting my 70 C10 to run again

:new:
I have a 1970 C10 pickup 250 manual straight 6 that I can not get to run anymore. Used to run regularly 4-5 years ago, and started it here and there with no problems up until about a year or so ago. Ive replaced the carb, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor recently hoping that some newer parts would help, but sadly they did not. I know my way around a vehicle somewhat, but by all means am not a master mechanic. Anyone have some advice/tips to maybe point me in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

mdeal 10-12-2015 01:55 PM

Re: Trouble getting my 70 C10 to run again

Suck. Squeeze. Bang. Blow. The 4 strokes of an internal combustion engine. You need only 3 things to make it work, Fuel, Air, and Spark. Check for fuel 1st. Make sure your pump is working and fuel is getting to the bowls of the carb. Check Spark 2nd. Pull a spark plug out of the head, put it's plug wire back on and lay it on the manifold(or somewhere to ground it). Have a buddy spin the motor over while you watch to see if the spark plug actually "sparks". If you have fuel and spark, then I would dive deeper to do a compression check of the cylinder head. This involves special tools, you may have a buddy that will let you borrow them or you could rent from local auto parts store. If you don't have spark then I'd check out the coil. You could borrow a coil that you know works and try it to eliminate the problem. This is where I would start, someone else may have a better idea. I like trying one thing at a time through a process of elimination so that I know exactly what the problem is being caused by. Throwing a lot of parts at it may not clue you in on the original cause. Hope this helps!:metal:

zakhigel 10-12-2015 02:21 PM

Thank you for your reply. I know my fuel pump is working, I am getting fuel to the carb. As for the spark, I will check that later today when I have a hand. Again, I'm no expert, but I feel like it has to be something small I'm missing as it was running fine over a year ago and just sat, with the occasional start up. :( I will continue looking into it, thank you!

cooperhw 10-12-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zakhigel (Post 7338779)
Thank you for your reply. I know my fuel pump is working, I am getting fuel to the carb. As for the spark, I will check that later today when I have a hand. Again, I'm no expert, but I feel like it has to be something small I'm missing as it was running fine over a year ago and just sat, with the occasional start up. :( I will continue looking into it, thank you!

Check the wire to the distributor and the coil. Mice have a habit of chewing on these.

bill3rail 10-12-2015 05:25 PM

Quick flow chart

Fuel?
Yes/No
Will she kick with gasoline sprayed into the carb?

No

Spark?

No

Points or electronic ignition, Fix ignition problem!

Spark?

Yes

Spark in all cylinders? Yes

Compression? Yes

Compression in all Cylinders?

Bill

cdowns 10-12-2015 05:32 PM

i'd try at cleaning and setting the points to get it to run