The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   ECE static lowered, soft ride (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=696039)

longorange68 01-27-2016 02:34 AM

ECE static lowered, soft ride

Put ECE's 3.5/5 inch drop kit and disc brake conversion on my 1968 C-10 long box. Stance is great! Drove it around with the 235/75 15's on all 4 corners and the front dives and won't settle out after bumps in the road. Sometimes it is bad enough to get the tires to rub the inner fender wells which will pucker you up in a hurry!!

It came with the lowered KYB shocks and is softer than I'd prefer. Did I set something up wrong? I'm not super familiar with lowering vehicles, but this one was straight forward and I had a friend who'd used ECE kits in the past help me out. Running a smallblock and a 700r4, so it's not that heavy. What gives?

lolife99 01-27-2016 06:45 AM

Re: ECE static lowered, soft ride

Shocks.
Some like the ride cushy some like it firm.
I imagine it's hard for ECE to please everyone with their kyb shocks.
Did you talk to them before you ordered?
I suggest a new set of performance shocks.
QA1 or RideTech.

Do you have any pics of your truck?

PGSigns 01-27-2016 11:53 AM

I had the KYB's on my 66 and did not like them. Went to the Bell tech street performance shocks and they are much better.
Jimmy

chevy_mike 01-27-2016 01:01 PM

My personal recommendation is Bilstein.

longorange68 01-27-2016 02:33 PM

Stiffer shocks seem to be the consensus. Does that mean on all 4 corners or just the fronts? Would a sway bar firm things up as well?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hart_Rod 01-30-2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longorange68 (Post 7463586)
Stiffer shocks seem to be the consensus. Does that mean on all 4 corners or just the fronts? Would a sway bar firm things up as well?
Posted via Mobile Device

I would just do the shocks in the front and a sway bar will help stiffen everything up.

GEARBOXGARAGE 02-02-2016 10:01 AM

Which KYB shock did you use? ECE offers 2 different ones. The GR-2/Excel-G's are a more soft riding shock, the White Gas-A-Just are a stiffer shock for more of a performance feel. As stated above, there are better shocks out there, but will come at a cost. Bilsteins are great if you want a non-adjustable shock, or go with a QA1, Ridetech, or Hotchkis has some new shocks out that are supposed to be fantastic, which we will be going to very soon.

layinrocker65 04-15-2016 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longorange68 (Post 7463180)
Put ECE's 3.5/5 inch drop kit and disc brake conversion on my 1968 C-10 long box. Stance is great! Drove it around with the 235/75 15's on all 4 corners and the front dives and won't settle out after bumps in the road. Sometimes it is bad enough to get the tires to rub the inner fender wells which will pucker you up in a hurry!!

It came with the lowered KYB shocks and is softer than I'd prefer. Did I set something up wrong? I'm not super familiar with lowering vehicles, but this one was straight forward and I had a friend who'd used ECE kits in the past help me out. Running a smallblock and a 700r4, so it's not that heavy. What gives?

Mind posting a pic of that wheel/tire combo?

Crushkrew 04-16-2016 12:37 AM

We run the ece 4/6 kit and had the same problem with the bouncyness...installed cpp sways front and rear and was better but still too mushy...solution was viking shock upgrade all around...double adjustable for the price of single adjustable...great USA quality and amazingly adjustable...couple clicks here and there and good for whatever the conditions and driving situation...