The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Transmission not separating from engine? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=720069)

edwardgonzalez 10-13-2016 10:23 AM

Transmission not separating from engine?

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I was in the process of pulling the engine and the transmission is stuck to it. Engine is a 350 transmission is 3 speed on the tree converted to floor shift. I was first trying to separate the engine withe the bell housing attached. Removed all bolts connecting transmission to bell housing. I believe it was 4 bolts. It separated about an inch or two but would not release it was still attached no matter what I did so I said hey to why not just remove the bell housing and pull the engine by itself. I unbolted the bell housing and it separated from the engine about in inch or two also but wouldn't come apart from the engine either. So now I have an inch or two between the bell housing and engine and also about an inch or two separating the housing from the transmission. I can't figure out why it's not coming apart. I'm thinking about just removing the radiator support and pulling everything out together. Any idea guys I did remove the starters boats and the dates between the bell having an engine. And Nelson in sheet around the starter. I'm pulling my hair out why won't this come apart im fairly new to manual transmissions. Would I have to take off the fenders to remove the radiator support ?

Tiger Joe 10-13-2016 10:39 AM

Re: Transmission not separating from engine?

stupid question- did you try lift/wiggling/moving the trans around after you unbolted the 4 bolts?

almost sounds like the throwout bearing is stuck on the shaft.

Did the truck run or drive or was it sitting?

edwardgonzalez 10-13-2016 10:44 AM

The truck had been sitting for years before I bought it. Engine is seized but the transmission looks good. Yes I wiggled and pulled a bunch. If the throw out bearing is stuck how do I release it?

Wrenchbender Ret 10-13-2016 03:00 PM

Look up in the opening & see if the TO brg moves on the collar & if the disc is not stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate. Try putting 2 pry bars, one on each side, & prying it off. You will probably mess up the clutch disc but you are probably going to replace it any way. Its possible the trans. shaft is stuck in the pilot brg.

edwardgonzalez 10-13-2016 03:35 PM

This may be a dumb question but do I need to remove the bolts in the pressure plate to remove the transmission. I thought it would slide out with it in place. The throw out bearing slides back and forth
Posted via Mobile Device

Toms67 10-13-2016 03:43 PM

Yes it should come out with the pressure plate bolted up to the flywheel.

my67c20 10-13-2016 04:14 PM

Sounds like the throw-out bearing is seized on the trans input shaft. Remove the radiator core support and pull the whole mess out the front, then wrestle them apart on the ground.

edwardgonzalez 10-13-2016 04:20 PM

That's what I was thinking. Will I be able to pull the radiator support without having removing the fenders?
Posted via Mobile Device

Toms67 10-13-2016 04:43 PM

I never tried that before. I know I took my fenders off first. But I was taking the whole front end apart.

plastercracker 10-13-2016 07:56 PM

i removed mine without removing fenders. i did to repair right bottom side and to replace core support bushing from classic parts. the hardest part is getting the rusty bolts out that hold inner fenders to core support. soak them with some fluid film

randy500 10-13-2016 10:29 PM

Did you remove the bolts from the thin sheetmetal flywheel cover that sits between the starter and bellhousing? That cover encases the flywheel at the bottom and will prevent the engine from moving forward, but will allow you to move it forward a bit. You also should remove the starter as it bolts to the bell housing and not the engine.

71swb4x4 10-13-2016 10:47 PM

You should be able to remove the engine and transmission as one piece, without removing the radiator support. You will have to tip the engine down a little, but it's very common to install/remove engines and transmissions bolted together with the radiator support in place.

It sounds like the pressure plate is binding on the transmission. You said that the throwout bearing is moving, and even if that was binding it should still slide out as long as you have the clutch fork off as the throwout bearing is the last piece on there.
It's doesn't sound like it's stuck in the pilot bearing either, as you have said it comes out an inch or two.

It might help to work from the top. The last time I worked on mine I removed the transmission tunnel cover and that helped a lot. Do you have a bolt in cover?

edwardgonzalez 10-14-2016 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After a lot of prying and wiggling the transmission, it finally came loose. I'm thinking it was just a bit stuck from years of sitting. Thanks guys for the help
Posted via Mobile Device

jp6462 03-11-2017 06:47 PM

Can you post some pictures of the back of the engine and the throw out bearing. I'm having issues removing mine, but I get no seperation at all.