The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Hatch rod/latch adjustment? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=731149)

Okie528 02-23-2017 04:43 PM

Hatch rod/latch adjustment?

Hey guys! I have searched for threads relating to hatch adjustment and haven't found what I'm looking for. I have been fighting my hatch mech forever. When I turn the handle the drivers side released and the Passenger would not, (without a lot of manipulating). So, I figured I needed to shorten the rod of the side that wasn't releasing. Not wanting to alter the original rod, I bought a 3' piece of 3/8 diameter rod from Lowes and built a shorter rod. Installed, tested, seemed to work. Now the side that always worked great no longer releases. Is there a trick I'm missing? It can not be this complicated!

One of the PO's has definitely reworked the hatch, so I know I'm not starting with an untouched mechanism.

Any advice appreciated, pics, or links to threads I didn't find would be great.

I run a Softopper in the summer, it would just be nice to get this thing right once and for all.
Thanks.

notsolo 02-24-2017 03:50 PM

Re: Hatch rod/latch adjustment?

Not to get into latch mech, but are the sides catches hitting the latch in the correct place? Mine needed to be shimmed out on the right side due to slight flare in the body.

1rippen6 02-24-2017 04:48 PM

I have a couple sets of hatch rods if you take a measurement of your original I can measure what I have and see if it is close.

A1971Blazer 02-24-2017 05:33 PM

I've got one out right now if you want to measure it...you can get your temp sender too..!

Okie528 02-24-2017 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 7868521)
I've got one out right now if you want to measure it...you can get your temp sender too..!

I'll take you up on that, as soon as I can get out your way.

Okie528 02-24-2017 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1rippen6 (Post 7868484)
I have a couple sets of hatch rods if you take a measurement of your original I can measure what I have and see if it is close.

Mine measure 30" end to end.

robs71k5 02-25-2017 02:06 AM

There is a "z" bend in most of these acuator rods that just need to be shortened or lengthening or reducing the "z" bend .should be no need to fabricate a new one unless it's broken off short .

Okie528 02-25-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robs71k5 (Post 7868982)
There is a "z" bend in most of these acuator rods that just need to be shortened or lengthening or reducing the "z" bend .should be no need to fabricate a new one unless it's broken off short .

Thanks, my passenger side rod has the "z" bend, but the drivers side is straight. I may just try to add a bend to the drivers side rod.

buckkoo 03-21-2017 02:55 PM

OK, so I am having a similar, but different problem.

The right side of the hatch latches easily.

The left side of the hatch latches only if you press the hatch inward at the lower left corner far enough (1/4") for the latch to engage.

It will then stay engaged unless you hit any large bumps at which poin the hatch may become unlatched.

I have tried shimming the catch outward from the bed side, but that doesn't seem to help.

There does not seem to be much of a way to move that latch back to front.

I was beginning to consider a hinge adjustment, but would prefer to avoid that as my hatch is starting to crack at the hinges.

Any ideas?