The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Siezed rear leaf shackle pivot pin!!! Help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=736977)

1953 05-02-2017 05:39 PM

Siezed rear leaf shackle pivot pin!!! Help

Ok i am removing the rear end and leafs well turns out the pivot pin that runs threw the shackle and rear leaf hangers are seized to the shackle itself, there is a hole in the frame where i can get to the pin ive heated the shackel and pin tryed air hammer it out threw the fram hole ive tried a slide hammer and blunt force in any way you can think of without damaging the hanger is there somthing im missing here ? slide hammer should have pulled it right out. Nope. The pinch bolts all came out no problem its jist the pivot pin Siezed to shackel the shackle moves freely bit the pin moves with it any ideas on what i can do here to pull these pins?

ewalker302 05-03-2017 01:05 AM

Re: Siezed rear leaf shackle pivot pin!!! Help

Just finished cleaning & straightening mine......none of the pins were seized to the shackles, but one of my pins was ground down on one end by 1/4 inch. Maybe to help free it up sometime in the last 70 years?

Coupeguy2001 05-03-2017 01:09 AM

are they threaded like the task force trucks?
Mine screw in and out of the spring eye bushing.

ewalker302 05-03-2017 01:26 AM

I have a 50....3100, and they do thread into the spring. They are tapered on the ends, and hollow with an alemite on one end.

The threads in the spring is just a bushing (sleeve with threads on the inside), new shackles come with replacement bushings, and you press the old ones out with the new ones. (Not saying you need new shackles, just that the bushing/threads are made so they can be removed/replaced)

May be easier to press the bushing & pin out together, then to free the pin. Unless it's seized to both sides of the shackle. Then I guess I would have to get more aggressive with it until it either came loose or broke. Maybe easier to cut the pin itself, should be space to get a reciprocating saw blade between the shackle mount & plate...

1953 05-03-2017 03:06 AM

Further research and ive found its a "clevis type spring shackle" the bottom pin came out with a breeze the top one is still fighting me idk what to do here.

Jemezcrusher 05-03-2017 07:18 AM

I used Kroil penetrating oil on my front and rear suspension for a couple weeks before removal and it all came part pretty easy.

JohnMW68 05-03-2017 05:03 PM

Mine was a real pain too, here is the only thing that worked for me... I bought a cheap gear puller from harbor freight, and ground the middle point flat. Then I clipped the jaws behind tge shackle mount and the middle threaded part on the bushing. Then tightened the puller and pushed the bushing out tge back. You will have to use a sawzall to cut off the part of the bushing that is sticking out so that there is room to push out the rest. You may need a second pair of hands to help hold the puller in place while you tighten it.

https://m.harborfreight.com/three-ja...-pc-69104.html

55dude 05-04-2017 12:48 AM

soak in in a mixture of 50/50% ATF/ACETONE mix! throw a little heat at it with a mapp torch it will back out!

mr48chev 05-04-2017 08:27 PM

Do you have a photo or two to show what you are up against? The guys have replied on how to deal with a shackle on a 3100 but it sounds like you have a bigger truck.