The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Intro: 1971 C-10 I just checked out (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=738159)

ugmold 05-18-2017 10:40 AM

Intro: 1971 C-10 I just checked out

Hi, New to the Forum. I recently lost a 1970 VW Bus to an out of control driver who totaled it in my driveway (and ended up going into my kitchen) So I have been looking for a new vehicle and always liked C-10's.

I want a short bed and 6 cylinder so I checked out this one that wasn't too far from my house. The body looks good, but the rust under might be too much for a back yard mechanic like myself.

Just wondering what you guys think, the seller is motivated and it does have a title here in MA.

New gas tank, no radiator, engine spins

https://youtu.be/PVetkrMttns

nastety92 05-18-2017 10:44 AM

Re: Intro: 1971 C-10 I just checked out

Looks like a typical truck from this area. If you cannot do the welding and repair the sections yourself I would pass on it. There are other trucks out there with less truck but you just need to search and probably travel to find them.

Where in MA are you from? I picked up a Suburban last year in MA that came from the west coast.

Nick

ugmold 05-18-2017 10:51 AM

Hi nastety92,
I'm from Weymouth/South Shore. You might chuckle at this but I want to learn to weld, and this would be my practice. But with this in mind, it might be a bit much.
Thanks

nastety92 05-18-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugmold (Post 7945799)
Hi nastety92,
I'm from Weymouth/South Shore. You might chuckle at this but I want to learn to weld, and this would be my practice. But with this in mind, it might be a bit much.
Thanks

Wow, your very close by I'm in Rockland. I am in the same boat, I would like to learn how to weld as well. The truck I purchased is super solid, BUT I paid up for it. I don't know if I would try and tackle that large of a project if it was my first time welding. Do you have anyone to teach you and or help with the rust repairs?

Nick

ugmold 05-18-2017 10:57 AM

My welding teacher would probably be youtube. lol

weim55 05-18-2017 11:10 AM

I would stay far away from that thing whether it's something you want to do a quickie and get back on the road or a full restore ration. As a quickie it's missing so many parts and the rust is so extensive it's going to take a major amount of time and money to make that happen, and who knows what shape the rest of the mechanicals are in. As a restore ration with the extent of the rust that's visible there's a good chance once it's taken apart that cab is a throwaway. Don't be enticed by cheap, save your money, be willing to travel, and purchase The best truck you can afford. If You're just in love with that thing don't pay more then it's worth in parts in case you take it apart and find out the truck is not doable.
Just my two cents, and someone who is been there many times.......

Steve weim55 Colorado

ct67_72 05-18-2017 11:11 AM

The good thing about a truck like that is that it looks original. What you see is what you get, but you also know you are getting a lot of work. It looks like it needs a fair amount of mechanical/electrical work as well. Body work isnt bad to do while you drive and enjoy the truck but there looks to be a lot of work to even get to that.
Im in Ct and it looks pretty typical to what we have. I went to NC for my last truck.

weq92f 05-18-2017 11:17 AM

If the first half of that video didn't scare you away, surely the second half did.

The rust issues are not completely documented here. I would have to put my own eyes on the cowl area, under dash metal, roof and pillars.

The rust you don't see could render the cab as scrap.

-klb

ugmold 05-18-2017 11:46 AM

Great advice/opinions, my first reaction was "forget it". But I wanted to see what the folks that have one, thought about it.
-Thanks

boraxman 05-18-2017 12:01 PM

Ya that rust pretty much kills it