The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Base Coat/Clear Coat or Single Stage (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=742908)

71meangreenc10 07-21-2017 08:45 PM

Base Coat/Clear Coat or Single Stage

Will be painting the Blazer soon and I am still undecided on the product. I've shot BC/CC before and it is not that bad. Have not shot Single Stage yet.

Thoughts from those that have......

Smitty

ApacheIvan 07-21-2017 08:48 PM

Re: Base Coat/Clear Coat or Single Stage

Subscribed. Interested as well.

68c10airstream 07-21-2017 10:05 PM

BC/CC is obviously a must for metallic colors to do it properly. Single stage is cheaper overall and is great for a solid color. Personally i like the added depth using clear coat but it costs more, longer painting times can equal more debris in the paint. I haven't painted very much through the years but these are my thoughts. Good luck and i hope others chime in because this is what these guys do for work.

71meangreenc10 07-21-2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68c10airstream (Post 7996721)
BC/CC is obviously a must for metallic colors to do it properly. Single stage is cheaper overall and is great for a solid color. Personally i like the added depth using clear coat but it costs more, longer painting times can equal more debris in the paint. I haven't painted very much through the years but these are my thoughts. Good luck and i hope others chime in because this is what these guys do for work.

I also noticed the color of primers can add depth to a color.

Smitty

Foot Stomper 07-21-2017 11:03 PM

The color of your primer makes a difference if you are spraying low hide paint. Buy high hide paint, it takes less paint. If you can see primer through your paint, you haven't put enough on...thus, buy high hide paint.

You could spray it in single stage and then clear it while it's open. This will give you more DOI (depth of image) and give you a finish that you can buff.

71meangreenc10 07-21-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foot Stomper (Post 7996774)
The color of your primer makes a difference if you are spraying low hide paint. Buy high hide paint, it takes less paint. If you can see primer through your paint, you haven't put enough on...thus, buy high hide paint.

You could spray it in single stage and then clear it while it's open. This will give you more DOI (depth of image) and give you a finish that you can buff.

How do you know the difference in the two? Is it on the label or does the person making the mix know?

The Green I shot on my GMC looked lighter on grey primer, shot it over black and it was much darker. The clear then took it to another level.

Smitty

sevt_chevelle 07-22-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 (Post 7996799)
How do you know the difference in the two? Is it on the label or does the person making the mix know?

The Green I shot on my GMC looked lighter on grey primer, shot it over black and it was much darker. The clear then took it to another level.

Smitty

Its called experience, and often times cheap paint. PPG's value brand "OMNI" is thinner then PPG's good DBC. Often times due to poor coverage one spends more in OMNI getting it to cover then you could have spent just buying DBC.

Some times its just the color. But if you are allowing the primer color to dictate the final color its simply because you are NOT using enough coats.
I've had GM's Indigo Blue in DBC take 9 coats before achieving proper coverage.

Flying Hamster 07-22-2017 11:07 AM

Depends on color as well. Black and dark colors look better in a single stage because BC/CC gets those white reflections/highlights out in the sun. A single stage doesn't do that.

71meangreenc10 07-22-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle (Post 7997028)
Its called experience, and often times cheap paint. PPG's value brand "OMNI" is thinner then PPG's good DBC. Often times due to poor coverage one spends more in OMNI getting it to cover then you could have spent just buying DBC.

Some times its just the color. But if you are allowing the primer color to dictate the final color its simply because you are NOT using enough coats.
I've had GM's Indigo Blue in DBC take 9 coats before achieving proper coverage.

Could have been the color on my truck. I used two different panels and used the same process and the coverage was 180 different. Didn't use a HF gun either on the paint.

Smitty

71meangreenc10 07-22-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying Hamster (Post 7997038)
Depends on color as well. Black and dark colors look better in a single stage because BC/CC gets those white reflections/highlights out in the sun. A single stage doesn't do that.

I guess I could go either way with Orange.

Smitty

Foot Stomper 07-22-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying Hamster (Post 7997038)

Single stage sure does have highlights in the sun. Some colors look like a Christmas or Easter candy that you want to lick!:metal:

I think you might be confusing metallic colors with bc/cc? You can't get metallic in single stage but obviously can in bc/cc. Metallic and pearls are used almost 100% these days on modern cars with the exception of the recent Mopar products in their orange, green and blues they are coming out with. Most red's and whites have traditionally been solids for many years, but not all of them. The Cadillac white pearl is an example of one that is not a solid.