The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   TF Wreck Photos from Facebook (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=747833)

Dan in Pasadena 10-05-2017 12:26 AM

TF Wreck Photos from Facebook

5 Attachment(s)
Anyone else see these?

Posted story was a kid was doing burnouts in the Malibu and lost control spinning. The TF was at its first show - UGH!

No one hurt seriously but man, look at the wood steering wheel! Could have been a stake through the heart. We choose to drive 60 year old vehicles....be safe out there, guys!

MARTINSR 10-05-2017 12:31 AM

Re: TF Wreck Photos from Facebook

Damn that's sad. Hope the moron who caused it PAYS big time.

Brian

mongocanfly 10-05-2017 12:45 AM

wow...that steering wheel looks scary...

mr48chev 10-05-2017 01:07 AM

That is scary to see that wheel. I had one like it in my truck at one time and think it still is hanging in the shed. Those holes eat the pads on the palms of your hands something terrible anyhow at least the ones on mine did and that is why it came out.
I've seen too many fools do burnouts around car shows and most of the time they aren't even entered in the show. I just hope he has hell for good liability insurance.

Dan in Pasadena 10-05-2017 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8054211)
That is scary to see that wheel. I had one like it in my truck at one time and think it still is hanging in the shed....

Sounds like that's the only place for them. I have one RIGHT NOW I was refinishing to consider using. It's gonna hang on a wall in my garage now too.

Jesse Z 10-05-2017 04:30 AM

Any of you guys wanna get rid of those wood steering wheels? I'm looking for one now. I think the prices just went down :lol:

bennylava 10-05-2017 04:47 AM

Hope his insurance will cover the massive cost that it took to restore that truck...

joedoh 10-05-2017 09:32 AM

yeeowch. and you can tell what a nice TF that truck was because there isnt any rust or rot showing after the crash. what a shame

bowt1ed 10-05-2017 01:13 PM

Think I actually have a tear running down my cheek right now. Damn. I think right after I made sure the kid in the Malibu was alright, I would have had to hurt him a bit. :(

Dan in Pasadena 10-05-2017 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowt1ed (Post 8054456)
Think I actually have a tear running down my cheek right now. Damn. I think right after I made sure the kid in the Malibu was alright, I would have had to hurt him a bit. :(

My truck is THIS close to being on the street after a lifetime wait and 3-1/2 years in process. If it's true the truck in these pic's was at it's first show? I'd be wanting to kick the kid's butt. I wouldn't (probably) but man, it'd be a close call.

This reminds me about a stated value insurance policy. Right now mine's insured by my regular policy and I had to argue with Mercury to get them to insure it for $8,000. I'd be totally hosed if it got totaled before I get a new policy - but it's not done yet so...... I'd better make a call!

mr48chev 10-05-2017 04:00 PM

It would be wise to carry uninsured motorist coverage on the truck too. Had a friend get nailed by an undocumented alien with no license and no insurance a few weeks ago and that is what saved his bacon. The guy that hit him was in more trouble for dwi than the other things.

Daze57 10-05-2017 05:00 PM

wow !!! what a mess ! glad owner of truck walked away ( i hope so ) very sad about the truck it looked like a v nice runner ------hope kid had insurence if not ---if i was truck owner he;d be in jail and law suit would happen.
hope truck owner is ok ----- v v sad about the truck

Dieselwrencher 10-05-2017 06:27 PM

Man, luckily no one was killed or seriously injured! I have that exact wheel in my truck. Hopefully my bumper and frame slow a situation like that down first.

Russell Ashley 10-05-2017 06:43 PM

I'm glad no one was badly hurt in the wreck, but I bet the truck owner wanted to "badly hurt" the other driver. I hope that truck was covered with a declared value policy from one of the classic car insurance companies.

gigamanx 10-06-2017 08:09 AM

That front bumper really held up compared to the rest of the front end!

Hubscrub 10-07-2017 05:11 PM

:whine:What a waste:box: feel bad for the owner. I know a similar story a local had a crashed 80s monte carlo ss in his back yard and I have an 86 and wanted to ask if he would sell it. He said he took it out on its first drive after fixing it up and a lady rear ended him at about 55mph. Bad luck for sure have good insurance.

Dan in Pasadena 10-07-2017 05:20 PM

I JUST filled out an application with Hagerty and paid the bill. UGH! Not cheap (but what is with these trucks?)

I kinda picked a number out of the sky for it's value because I only know what I have in it and figure it would take even more if I had to start all over with another one (BIGGER UGH!). The bed isn't on and the rear lights are not installed, no upholstery. BUT, it's being flat bedded home Monday and it scares me to think of it being on the road with only the insurance I have had on it since I've owned it. A value of $8,000 by Mercury Insurance.

As it was, it was stupid for me to even drive it around the block without this insurance.
Anyone have a good/bad experience to relate with Hagerty? Other recommendations?

Highsider 10-07-2017 09:05 PM

The Haggerty-types didn't like my "not regularly garaged and I plan to drive it at least semi-regularly".
Have it insured with same company as my other five vehicles for a stated value.
I now have more "cash" invested than that amount, but was told a professional appraisal was required to raise it, so "Nah".

MIKESAD50 10-07-2017 09:28 PM

Yeah Hagerty and Grundy, Geico. When not being driven, locked in a fully enclosed building. You can't drive to run errands, can't drive it to work, or to the store. Shows and cruises only.

Dan in Pasadena 10-08-2017 12:00 AM

Haggerty had several options to choose from to describe how much I'd use it. I chose to work a couple times a month and on assorted short drives. Another option would have been to car shows/cruise nights only. While that might have saved me on premiums I wouldn't want a hassle if I ever needed coverage because I'd "driven too much" - in their opinion.

Russell Ashley 10-09-2017 09:05 AM

My truck is insured with Grundy now but before when I was using State Farm my policy said "estimated vehicle value $2200 or less" in rather small print. I called my agent and asked about that and got a little bit of a vague answer about what they would do if my truck got destroyed. That's when I switched to Grundy.

_Ogre 10-09-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennylava (Post 8054232)
Hope his insurance will cover the massive cost that it took to restore that truck...

the other driver only needs to cover the $0 bluebook value of the truck
classic vehicles need their own agreed value policy to be covered
Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKESAD50 (Post 8056053)
Yeah Hagerty and Grundy, Geico. When not being driven, locked in a fully enclosed building. You can't drive to run errands, can't drive it to work, or to the store. Shows and cruises only.

hagerty yes. i had hagerty until i told them 5000 miles per year
grundy worldwide no. i switched to grundy (philadelphia ins) when hagerty dropped me. grundy had no problem with 5000 miles/yr.

if you do not have an ''agreed value'' policy with your insurance carrier you are not covered over the bluebook value

Dan in Pasadena 10-09-2017 04:58 PM

I just got off the phone with Hagerty. Since my truck is "modified" and I asked for what it would cost to rebuild it if it were a total loss, the premium will be about 100/mo. And that's not driving it that much. It'll only be to some car shows, some errands here & there, and if I want to drive it to Hot August Nights or to a car show near my son's house 200 miles away I can. I CAN'T do "road trips" - but I can take it to shows. I find that curious, but oh well.

mr48chev 10-10-2017 12:47 AM

I plan too many extended road trips with my truck and Model A after they are finished. Not just to an event and back but for several weeks on an extended tour and unless we buy the motorhome my wife is thinking of and a trailer we will be driving the truck or the A and pulling a small camp trailer. I spotted a little Scamp/ Boler up the road a ways that is for sale that I want to look at Friday. It is small but would be a nice home away from home.

mikec4193 10-10-2017 08:00 AM

Gosh that wreck was terrible....makes you wanna sell all your stuff and go buy a Subaru (NOT)...

I sold my last 3 vintage vehicles because when I got them all done and went out to try and enjoy them...never felt safe out there...

Definitely will make sure the current project ride has a modern day steering column and steering wheel too...

That wreck is a eye opener for sure..

MikeC