The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Leaking Aluminum valve covers on Aluminum headsV (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750922)

Arl37 11-21-2017 12:51 AM

Leaking Aluminum valve covers on Aluminum headsV

Have Edelbrock E Street heads and Edelbrock aluminum valve covers. Had this set up for a year and have been unable to stop valve covers from leaking. Have gone through two sets of Edelbrock valve cover gaskets and still cant stop leak.
Any suggestions.

Marine-58 11-21-2017 08:59 AM

Re: Leaking Aluminum valve covers on Aluminum headsV

Not sure what you have tried already but here is what I do. I'm guessing that the leak is between the valve cover and the head. Making sure both mating surfaces are clean and flat, use a good rubber gasket, put sealant on the top, between the gasket and the valve cover. Don't put it on the bottom so it can be removed later if needed. I have always liked copper coat in the can (not the spray). Prior to attaching the gasket, make sure the valve cover lip is flat and straight. For the bolts, use hold downs so it spreads the load. Do not over-tighten. Just snug will be good enough.

A few years ago, I had an issue with older steel valve covers sealing. Instead of a gasket, I used about 1/4" silicone, let it set for about 30 minutes then bolted the cover down without much torque so it didn't squeeze out the silicone. The permatex black works good for this. Worked great but taking the valve covers off after that was a real pain. Also it looked a little messy, but it did seal.

If they aren't damaged, the Edelbrock gaskets you already have should work, but do a good visual inspection to make sure they are in good shape.

Good Luck...:)

67 chevelle 11-21-2017 09:05 AM

use no gasket
just a 1/4 bead of
Permatex® The Right Stuff® BLACK Gasket Maker 29208

kaycee 11-21-2017 09:24 AM

I got a set of covers off e-bay (made overseas) they leaked all the time. I noticed the edge of covers were hitting the runners on intake not letting them seal. A little work with the dremel worked out great

toiletbowl54 11-21-2017 02:30 PM

Dont have alum. heads/valve covers. I do have steel valve covers and stock cast iron heads that use to leak. What I did was use Gaskenteck (sp.) to attach the cork valve covers gaskets to the valve covers then apply some heavy grease like wheel bearing grease to the gasket surface that contacts the head, no leaks.

cleszkie 11-21-2017 03:04 PM

I never liked the idea of gluing on valve covers to stop leaks. Makes a mess and is a pain to deal with when you want to adjust valves. A lot of times, uncured RTV will actually cause the gasket to squeeze out of alignment when the bolts are tightened by creating a slippery surface.

I highly recommend the Felpro steel reinforced blue silicon rubber valve cover gaskets. Use these WITHOUT RTV sealant. They are thick, reusable, and have steel sleeves at the bolt holes to prevent over tightening and deformation of the gasket. They cost a bit more, but are well worth it in my experience.

leddzepp 11-21-2017 03:30 PM

Felpro blue rubber gaskets, 7 ft lbs of torque, problem solved.

bw46 11-21-2017 06:35 PM

Above and beyond good parts and installation procedure, I have found valve cover leaks are often caused by inadequate crank case ventilation. It needs to have a working PCV valve or some other form of venting like valve cover breathers. The pressure is going to get out somehow and the valve cover gasket joint can be a weak link.

ga-stepside 11-21-2017 06:48 PM

#3 for Felpro blue rubber gaskets, no sealant.

1972RedNeck 11-21-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleszkie (Post 8087326)
I highly recommend the Felpro steel reinforced blue silicon rubber valve cover gaskets. Use these WITHOUT RTV sealant. They are thick, reusable, and have steel sleeves at the bolt holes to prevent over tightening and deformation of the gasket. They cost a bit more, but are well worth it in my experience.

Part number?

cleszkie 11-21-2017 09:00 PM

Fel-Pro 1628. $52.97 per pair through Summit Racing.

Arl37 11-21-2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 chevelle (Post 8087072)
use no gasket
just a 1/4 bead of
Permatex® The Right Stuff® BLACK Gasket Maker 29208

Going to try The Right Stuff. How long should. I let I let it set up on the valve covers before I place them on the heads.
Posted via Mobile Device