The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Does Anyone Sell This Style Rear Bumper? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=761130)

justin_jj_Taylor 04-06-2018 11:05 AM

Does Anyone Sell This Style Rear Bumper?

1 Attachment(s)
This is the exact bumper I'm looking for. I assume the demand for these isn't high but I could be wrong. It's only going on a driver anyways. Thanks!

Desert_Eagle02 04-06-2018 12:14 PM

Re: Does Anyone Sell This Style Rear Bumper?

I searched for a new chrome one for awhile and never found any being made new. Was also unable to find any used ones, so I went a different route.

Dead Parrot 04-06-2018 12:44 PM

Found a painted one at the local Pull-a-Part a couple years back. $30 and that included the two hitch balls that were on it. Took several trips over a couple of months to fine one that wasn't a mangled wreck. Turns out that that trip, there were 3 good ones to pick from.

v30crewcab 04-07-2018 10:05 PM

I think I still have a painted and a chrome one laying around somewhere. took them off parts trucks and never used them.

sweetk30 04-07-2018 10:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
i am making my own version .

its stupid easy with a chunk of 8" or 10" channel iron and 2 lengths of 2.5x2.5 angle iron for the brackets to bolt to the frame .

truck is a k30 454/4l80-e/203/205 combo driveline on 3" tuff country hd front lift springs and 3" block in the back on 22-547 leafs NOT stock k30 rear leafs . then its on 33" tires . just so you have a height perspective .

here is my cardboard mockup . still needs little tweeking . the bottom half with the 2" rediver hitch is 4" angle that will bolt to the bottom of the 8" channel bumper .

i figured out how much tapper in i want and then figured out the lines .

ends are 6" or 6.5" tall and go in around 10-12" to the full 8" hight . i plan to cut the taper out of the ends and bend up and weld / grind smooth . the top will match the profile of the box a little bit . and this bumper is overall only 2" wider than the stock step bumper and 2" taller minus the 4" section for trailer hitch .

and DONT make my mistake again . the 2 angle iron section for the bolt on to truck frame i did top mount . . . wont work unless you do body lift . so when i make the bumper here in a few weeks i have to remake them for the bottom side of the bumper / truck frame to clear the tail pan lip of the bed floor .

sweetk30 04-11-2018 08:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
mine ready to cut up and weld together .

changed the layout of the angles a little and made the lower trailer hitch section longer .

1st pic had 36" lower section for length .

2nd pic went 2" shorter for top angles on the length at bottom . then added 12" to the lower section in length and removed 1.5" more of the angle .

now i think i am happy with it . going 2.5" hitch in the bumper since lots of newer stuff is coming this way .

going to add a lip over the license plate area i think and then do a led strip to light it or 2 of the led plate bolts . not sure yet.