The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What is needed for 22" on dually (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=767379)

cochino12 07-13-2018 09:20 AM

What is needed for 22" on dually

What needs to be done to clear 22" wheels on a dually? Everything I read says a standard 22" "semi" wheel will be too wide to clear stock rear fenders. I know Tennessee wheel tires makes a townasty wheel that is supposed to clear but damn they really only come in one style. I know that wider fenders are available but a lot of truck I see out there have original paint. Are all of the trucks I see on instagram.. using a narrowed axle?

SCOTI 07-13-2018 09:53 AM

Re: What is needed for 22" on dually

C&C rear ends are narrower & allow using the milled 22's.

The Tow Nastys allow using 22's @ the outer wheel position w/factory 16's @ the inner position on a stock width dually rear end & are supposed to fit under the fender lip (the disclaimer is that all set-ups are different so there is no absolute). As you noted, they only come in one style.

cochino12 07-13-2018 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8300247)
C&C rear ends are narrower & allow using the milled 22's.

The Tow Nastys allow using 22's @ the outer wheel position w/factory 16's @ the inner position on a stock width dually rear end & are supposed to fit under the fender lip (the disclaimer is that all set-ups are different so there is no absolute). As you noted, they only come in one style.

Thats what I originally thought about the C&C rear but Trevor @ TWNT told me I would have issues with the wheels hitting the leaf springs. So you think all of these trucks I'm seeing are using a C&C axle or narrowed stock axle?

lolife99 07-13-2018 10:20 AM

I think most are swapping to a c20 suburban or truck rearend.
Check out @lowboymotorsports on Instagram.
He's done a bunch of these and has good pics.
Under bed c-notch, flip kit and relocated rear shocks.
I believe they also "face" both rear wheels to lessen the overall width.

SCOTI 07-13-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8300265)
I think most are swapping to a c20 suburban or truck rearend.
Check out @lowboymotorsports on Instagram.
He's done a bunch of these and has good pics.
Under bed c-notch, flip kit and relocated rear shocks.
I believe they also "face" both rear wheels to lessen the overall width.

From what I found, the difference in the C20 rear end is the hub assembly & the rear ends are the same width. Apparently the dual rear hub assembly tucks the wheels more than the single (from what I read). And yes, facing the wheels helps keeping things tucked under the OE width dually fender.

Also check w/site member 75dually. He actually did the swap on his square.

lolife99 07-13-2018 01:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I actually told you to look at the wrong guy.
Check out @michaelstruckworks on instagram.
I’m sure you could also contact them with questions.

lolife99 07-13-2018 01:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I believe @lowboymotorsports uses a modified “flat face” wheels in some applications

Ford Assassin 02-17-2021 01:15 PM

Bump...

EricU 02-17-2021 10:25 PM

A standard Dually (DRW) rear end is about 72" WMS to WMS (Wheel Mounting Surface)

A single rear wheel (SRW) one-ton 14b full floater rear end is about 67.5" WMS to WMS which gives you about a 2" tuck on each side.

A C&C rear end is about 63.5" WMS to WMS - I have been told that a C&C will work without a lot of frame work and I have been told that it wont - so that's not much help!

The SRW have an Outboard style hub and the C&C and Dually rear ends have the Inboard style hub - and I still am not sure what those are!!

SWR and C&C rear ends use the same housing, but different hubs, a C&C rear is a SWR housing with dually hubs.

The Suburban 3/4 ton semi-floater rear ends have different spring perch dimensions but you would usually end up cutting those off anyways with a drop kit.

Ford Assassin 02-17-2021 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricU (Post 8881778)
A standard Dually (DRW) rear end is about 72" WMS to WMS (Wheel Mounting Surface)

A single rear wheel (SRW) one-ton 14b full floater rear end is about 67.5" WMS to WMS which gives you about a 2" tuck on each side.

A C&C rear end is about 63.5" WMS to WMS - I have been told that a C&C will work without a lot of frame work and I have been told that it wont - so that's not much help!

The SRW have an Outboard style hub and the C&C and Dually rear ends have the Inboard style hub - and I still am not sure what those are!!

How to make it work with DRW AND still tuck under the rear fenders? Flat face rim on the outside rear?

v30crewcab 02-18-2021 10:28 AM

a c&c rear works with 16"duallys without hitting the springs. the only problem is the wheel well edge will have to be moved in so the wheel doesn't hit it. I ran a c&c rear with duallys on my 4x4 awhile and it tucked the duallys under a standard bed. but If I had been low, the inner wheel would have hit the wheel well.

Ford Assassin 02-18-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v30crewcab (Post 8881948)
a c&c rear works with 16"duallys without hitting the springs. the only problem is the wheel well edge will have to be moved in so the wheel doesn't hit it. I ran a c&c rear with duallys on my 4x4 awhile and it tucked the duallys under a standard bed. but If I had been low, the inner wheel would have hit the wheel well.

I guess I should have been more specific....

How does one make it work with standard, NOT C&C rear end, DRW AND still tuck under the rear fenders? Flat face rim on the outside rear?

SCOTI 02-18-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Assassin (Post 8881954)
I guess I should have been more specific....

How does one make it work with standard, NOT C&C rear end, DRW AND still tuck under the rear fenders? Flat face rim on the outside rear?

Correct. Flat face or milling as needed..... https://lowboymotorsports.com/