The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   fan shroud mounting brackets? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=769340)

evilokc 08-12-2018 10:55 PM

fan shroud mounting brackets?

I bought a fan shroud and of course it didn't come with mounting brackets. I googled mounting brackets and more than I expected popped up. what are you guys using and what do you suggest?

MiraclePieCo 08-13-2018 04:50 AM

Re: fan shroud mounting brackets?

Got a photo of your shroud?

_Ogre 08-13-2018 01:16 PM

and what it's going in?

evilokc 08-13-2018 03:50 PM

53 chevy 3100. No i dont have a pic on my phone but its a walker shroud thats made for our trucks that require youbto cut your own hole..

mr48chev 08-13-2018 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what's left of a factory shroud on one of the 1-1/2 tons I bought a few years ago. They took a torch to it to cut the core support, radiator and shroud out as a unit destroying two out of three in the process.

Note that the shroud bolts on with the same bolts that the radiator does and that is what I wanted to show to give you an idea or two.

evilokc 08-13-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8321783)
This is what's left of a factory shroud on one of the 1-1/2 tons I bought a few years ago. They took a torch to it to cut the core support, radiator and shroud out as a unit destroying two out of three in the process.

Note that the shroud bolts on with the same bolts that the radiator does and that is what I wanted to show to give you an idea or two.

Thanks for the pic. That helps a lot. Ive never seen a factory shroud. I wasnt sure they had one.

OrrieG 08-17-2018 01:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I used a stock big truck radiator which is 1" thicker than the 1/2-3/4 ton ones. It came with mounting tabs for a shroud, I just made 18 GA brackets to adapt the shroud I had to the brackets. The first time I made tin brackets that use the radiator mounting bolts. Shroud is off of a 70 Mustang, I am sure I just went out to the wrecking yard in 85 when I put in my first V8 and found one that was close. here are two photos one before I fabbed the adapter bracket, one after.

evilokc 08-18-2018 11:20 PM

looking at the pics I think I can fab something that will work fine. question 2) when i install the shroud in the proper location meaning fan blade 1/2 way in shroud and half way out what can i use to fill the gap between the shroud and the radiator if there happens to be one? will rubber melt?

mr48chev 08-19-2018 01:27 PM

Stock ones don't have anything as a filler. As long as it directs the air well and helps pull air through the whole radiator you should be good. Not usually on An AD but on some rigs I have seen guys have heating problems when they left panels off that directed air though the radiator after it came through the grill and that let air go over the radiator rather than through it. I can't remember what car it was but we ran into that with a guys's car where he didn't like the looks of the filler/deflector panels so he removed them to "clean up the engine compartment" and that let half the air flow around the radiator rather than through it.

evilokc 08-20-2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8325719)
Stock ones don't have anything as a filler. As long as it directs the air well and helps pull air through the whole radiator you should be good. Not usually on An AD but on some rigs I have seen guys have heating problems when they left panels off that directed air though the radiator after it came through the grill and that let air go over the radiator rather than through it. I can't remember what car it was but we ran into that with a guys's car where he didn't like the looks of the filler/deflector panels so he removed them to "clean up the engine compartment" and that let half the air flow around the radiator rather than through it.

ive heard of heating issues when there are gaps. im going to make sure all the air comes thought the radiator.