The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1960 3-speed Trans Linkage - Lever positions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=769559)

KIC 08-16-2018 05:35 PM

1960 3-speed Trans Linkage - Lever positions

Hi all

I am currently bringing my 60 GMC Burb back to the original 3-speed on the tree transmission configuration. The original shift linkage was still attached from when we installed the four-on-the-floor back in the late 70's.

After installing a 3-speed that was attached to a straight six behind my 305 V-6, the linkage does not line up.

Is there a difference in the levers on the side of the tranny ? Do they need ot be moved to a different position ?

Any insight would be appreciated. I have to believe, and have not heard or read, that there were more than one type of truck/burb 3-speed tranny for 60-63s.

P.S I also have the bell housing for a 3-speed to straight 6. and the four speed transmission if anybody is interested .

Railroader 08-17-2018 01:49 AM

Re: 1960 3-speed Trans Linkage - Lever positions

What did the transmission you installed come from? Truck or car? Is the side plate (plate for the shifter shafts) the same as your original transmission?
When I installed a manual overdrive 3 speed (which came from a car) in my 63 C10, I had to use side plate off original truck transmission. The length of the shifter shafts for the truck were longer than those on the O/D trans. The change in side plate fixed my alignment issue. Hope this helps.

KIC 08-20-2018 02:07 PM

It came from a Burb. I also picked up front end parts and other misc parts. The previous owner was installing a big block and auto trans plus lowering kits. It was a running Burb when he started his conversion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railroader (Post 8324084)
What did the transmission you installed come from? Truck or car? Is the side plate (plate for the shifter shafts) the same as your original transmission?
When I installed a manual overdrive 3 speed (which came from a car) in my 63 C10, I had to use side plate off original truck transmission. The length of the shifter shafts for the truck were longer than those on the O/D trans. The change in side plate fixed my alignment issue. Hope this helps.

KIC 08-22-2018 06:20 PM

Anybody ever ran into this issue ? I really need to figure this out soon without modifying anything ......?????

PGSigns 08-23-2018 06:26 AM

Posting some pictures of the trans may help.
Jimmy

KIC 08-23-2018 12:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Good point Jimmy..hope these help..

CousinTone 08-26-2018 01:37 PM

Hey Kic, it’s days like today I wish I told my job “NO” to the transfer “back home” from my 15 years living@68th St. &Indian School. I’d come over and give a hand, and still be living in a great place.

On my swap, it was a 68 truck and I ended up putting the “new” tranny in the specific gear, with the linkage connected at the tranny with a cotter pin then used my mapp gas and muscle to get the angles right to meet my column. Someone told me there are something like 50 different linkage sets (never verified this wild claim, but it’s only his opinion I think) finding the “one” other than what was stock will be hard or needs a lot of luck. Nn

How far off the top side is you’re linkage off? If you have it installed, take a pic of where they are, note which is which and maybe someone will come to the rescue. I’d be over, but it’s a 4 hour drive now. Keep trying , it WILL get there! I’ll keep an eye on this thread and I’m sure one of us knows exactly what to do, just need them to read this. Good luck! Tony

KIC 08-27-2018 06:35 PM

Tony

Thanks for the response. I tried to take some pictures but the angle and lighting sucked. I will take some more on Thursday when I am over there sweating my love out for this Burb.

I would say enjoy Cali, but it is Cali.... :lol:

KIC 08-30-2018 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay..I have a BIG favor to ask...ANYBODY who has a 60-62 ( maybe later not sure) 3 on the tree.. can you look and see if the shift levers on the tranny are both down ? The original shop manual show three different views, with two showing the forward shift lever as "up" and the rear shift lever as "down". What do you guys show as yours being ?

It looks like my linkage might work if it is up, but the lever doesn't look like it has been changed.

Can any post pictures of what their lever positions are in neutral ??

CousinTone 09-01-2018 05:10 PM

Click em till the tail shaft spins free. May take few clicks, but you’ll get it.

vetnat 09-01-2018 10:38 PM

Yes, was under my truck today. In neutral, both levers pointing down. Sorry didn't get pic, hard spot to photograph. 1961 3OTT.

KIC 09-13-2018 09:30 AM

OK thanks..o you have the straight 6 or V-6 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetnat (Post 8335497)
Yes, was under my truck today. In neutral, both levers pointing down. Sorry didn't get pic, hard spot to photograph. 1961 3OTT.

vetnat 09-13-2018 10:21 AM

Truck has the 235 6 cylinder. Canada didn't get the V6.

KIC 09-13-2018 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetnat (Post 8343525)
Truck has the 235 6 cylinder. Canada didn't get the V6.

That might be art of my problem. The 3 speed "appears" to have come from a straight 6 original installation. I put it behind my original V-6 that had a 3-on-the-tree originally. The original linkage was still hanging there from our install of the 4 speed.

It doesn't line up. I need an original V-6 with a 3-speed to see what it looks like.. position of the levers in neutral ...so frustrating..

vetnat 09-14-2018 12:10 AM

Hmm. Yep, never considered that engine type could affect the trans linkage. Sorry can't help you there.

Joerg 09-17-2018 03:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
'61, straight 6, 3 on the tree, 3 speed SM-318 tranny
Both levers are installed downwards.
On the shafts there is only one position to install the levers, if it is in the wrong position the bolt dosen't fit.
Its hard to take pictures from under the truck, but here are my levers in neutral position.

KIC 12-15-2020 07:40 PM

So just to update. I found out that although the tranny is the same for a straight or V6, The linkage shaft in the tranny has to be rotated if moved from one type of engine to another. It seems that my tranny was from a straight 6 so an acquaintance I knew simply rotated the linkage and shaft and it fit and worked ... Maybe this will help somebody in the future.. we spent so much time trying to get it figured out and Gary knew the problem right off...