The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   is power steering cooler necessary? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=772793)

smittster 10-07-2018 06:45 PM

is power steering cooler necessary?

Using 5.3l L59. I will not be towing or racing the truck, just recreational cruising. Is a power steering cooler needed?

mongocanfly 10-07-2018 07:55 PM

Re: is power steering cooler necessary?

When i got my lq9 it came with a cooler...so i used it...but im running hydroboost so im guessing thats why the cooler...

homemade87 10-08-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittster (Post 8359053)
Using 5.3l L59. I will not be towing or racing the truck, just recreational cruising. Is a power steering cooler needed?

Done several swaps over the years and have had no problems or ill affects . From the driving you are talking about I don't think you need one . The metal reservoir on the truck pumps will usually do . I have a corvette set up with the remote plastic reservoir on one of my swaps with no problems also .

Towing or straight line racing will not really affect it . Its the constant turning back and forth that will heat the fluid .

Jstock85 10-09-2018 08:04 AM

Ive never used one either. Just a DD and no problems.

NC_John 10-09-2018 11:39 AM

GM has coolers on there because of the inefficient design of the pump, not because of anything else. The type p-pump (ham can the trucks use) has a ton of bypass which heats up the fluid too much, making the cooler a necessity. The overassist also robs HP as well.

I converted to a type II pump which made it a much more efficient and better feeling (steering, not emotional) setup.

smittster 10-09-2018 02:02 PM

Thanks for the responses. I am not running the stock PS pump. I am using a Holley pump. I will look into the holley pump requirements.

NC_John 10-09-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittster (Post 8360447)
Thanks for the responses. I am not running the stock PS pump. I am using a Holley pump. I will look into the holley pump requirements.

I didn't know holley had a pump but its likely based on the type II design and most likely will not need a cooler. If you are going to autocross or track day it, it'd be a good addition but not really necessary for the street.

truckdude239 10-13-2018 09:07 AM

Nope i dont have one lol

Mr_Rich 10-13-2018 05:31 PM

Adding a PS cooler is not a bad idea to tell the truth. On cars with LS engines like Camaros and Firebirds I've seen where the fluid actually boils out of the reservoir. I haven't added one to mine but I should. It has gotten close to that point. Flushing burned fluid in not a bad idea either.