The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Recommend me a machine shop (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=776801)

Domingo 12-07-2018 03:21 AM

Recommend me a machine shop

I have a L31 engine that needs to be rebuild. Looking for recommendation. Im in north California. Brentwood.
It needs the crank turn 10-10. I talked to my local shop I was not impressed, without measuring the cylinder bores said that it needed to be bored .30

Chevyrestorerman 12-07-2018 09:41 AM

Re: Recommend me a machine shop

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domingo (Post 8400548)
I have a L31 engine that needs to be rebuild. Looking for recommendation. Im in north California. Brentwood.
It needs the crank turn 10-10. I talked to my local shop I was not impressed, without measuring the cylinder bores said that it needed to be bored .30

This must be your first engine rebuild...most people find their machine shop and stay with them based on previous work by the machine shop.

Do your own home work and go visit other machine shops in your area and ask the questions to make you feel you will get a good job.

A lot of machine shops do not turn crankshafts, they send them out, I go to the machine shop that turns their own cranks but thats just me. Been working with my machine shop for over 30 years and he is one of many great friends.

sweetk30 12-07-2018 04:51 PM

you going stock or performance rebuild ?

lots of times labor / parts before assemble is at or more than brand new engine . i just got a brand new L31 4 bolt from gm dealer shipped to me 1850.00

cadillac_al 12-08-2018 10:20 AM

You don't see many .010 over 350's. Most people do go .030 without even thinking about it. You can't beat the value of a crate engine unless you really really want to assemble it yourself.

PGSigns 12-10-2018 09:20 AM

With most rebuilds .030 is just standard. If it needs rebuilt and is standard bore I don't measure them either. I do look for marks in the walls that may not clean up at 30 but if they look ok it goes 30. Also .030 is the first size standard pistons are available.
Jimmy

mattfranklin 12-10-2018 11:22 AM

Morgan's Machine in Walnut Creek, CA is awesome. Tim Morgan used to be a top fuel and hydroplane racer back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Now he builds racing engines and rebuilds rare exotics for restorers (Ferrari and so on). He really knows his stuff and does high quality work. He's more expensive than regular production shops and he sometimes has kind of a gruff personality, but I like talking to him and appreciate the high quality work he does. He likes to build the whole thing, but will work with you in doing parts of the job if your budget is limited and if he thinks you'll be ok doing it.