The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   73-87 a arms on a 68? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=776903)

Byoung330 12-09-2018 09:00 AM

73-87 a arms on a 68?

I am just about ready to blast my frame and paint it and then start suspension work. I was wondering if 73-87 upper and lower a-arms would bolt on with no issues. I know the cross members can be swapped but I’m wondering specifically about a arms only. 3 reasons why... I am looking at buying a arms with moog ball joints already installed from rock auto and of course they don’t have 71-72, I want to be able to go to autozone and get parts for the brakes and bolting a new control arm is easier than removing and replacing ball joints! Lol. I am open to other options as well like a decent affordable set of tubular.

AZ 67 C10 12-09-2018 12:00 PM

Re: 73-87 a arms on a 68?

The ball joints on the 73-87 control arms will be larger than the stock 68 spindles. I believe in 71 the spindles were changed and take the larger ball joints. Affordable is a relative term but i'm pleased with my CPP tubular control arms, and there is probably cheaper stuff out there.

Byoung330 12-09-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ 67 C10 (Post 8402009)
The ball joints on the 73-87 control arms will be larger than the stock 68 spindles. I believe in 71 the spindles were changed and take the larger ball joints. Affordable is a relative term but i'm pleased with my CPP tubular control arms, and there is probably cheaper stuff out there.

Yeah I knew that. No issue since I am doing a disk conversion anyway. So what benefits would I get by switching to tubular?

rpmerf 12-10-2018 09:52 AM

Looking at Rock Auto. The only Moog control arms I see are the R series arms. I would steer clear of these. These are the economy line. I would avoid these. Problem Solver is Moog's premium series. I do see AC Delco professional series loaded control arms. I only see uppers on each of these, no lowers. At least that is what Rock Auto has listed, you might get different results looking on the manufacturer's websites.

Really might be worth cleaning up what you have and taking your new ball joints and control arms to a shop to have them mounted.

Byoung330 12-10-2018 07:29 PM

Oh ok. I see....i didn’t really dig to deep yet. I just wondered if the newer ones would fit. I can do the work no problem to replace the joints, I just know it’s easier to just replace the arm lol. Also, that’s one less part I have to clean and paint.
So if I were to buy a premium set of control arms, will the newer ones bolt right up? I understand I can swap a whole cross member in but I’m wondering specifically about just the arms.

AZ 67 C10 12-11-2018 02:01 AM

The tubular ones from cpp claim to have non squeak self lubricating bushings that Outlast any polyurethane bushing and add 5* of caster. They are lighter than the beefy oem ones. Mine bolted right up with no issues.

SCOTI 12-11-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byoung330 (Post 8403022)
Oh ok. I see....i didn’t really dig to deep yet. I just wondered if the newer ones would fit. I can do the work no problem to replace the joints, I just know it’s easier to just replace the arm lol. Also, that’s one less part I have to clean and paint.
So if I were to buy a premium set of control arms, will the newer ones bolt right up? I understand I can swap a whole cross member in but I’m wondering specifically about just the arms.

Yes, 73-87 arms will 'bolt-on' to the earlier x-member. As mentioned by others, you will need the supporting 71 & later disc brake spec'd parts to go along w/them.

Also.... Any 'R' series Moog part is the same quality as store brand stuff (= no better). Just the Problem Solver line is high end now. I've never seen one of these aftermarket stamped steel style a-arms but knowing how other sheet-metal stuff is from overseas, I would be wary.

Byoung330 12-11-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8403550)
Yes, 73-87 arms will 'bolt-on' to the earlier x-member. As mentioned by others, you will need the supporting 71 & later disc brake spec'd parts to go along w/them.

Also.... Any 'R' series Moog part is the same quality as store brand stuff (= no better). Just the Problem Solver line is high end now. I've never seen one of these aftermarket stamped steel style a-arms but knowing how other sheet-metal stuff is from overseas, I would be wary.

Thanks!