The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Removing Ebrake completely (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=783260)

UATahoe 03-14-2019 03:15 PM

Removing Ebrake completely

Just a quick question to the board. I am going to be running disc brakes in the rear with wilwood calipers and no ebrake provisions. Any ramifications to just removing the entire pedal assembly and cables to clean things up? Seems pretty straight forward with no issues, just wanted to make sure i wasnt overlooking something.

sweetk30 03-14-2019 05:00 PM

Re: Removing Ebrake completely

any vehicle inspections that require parking brake to pass ? ?

otherwise up to you i say . in my rust belt living we are afraid to use them in fear they will be FROZEN on and not release unless you use them all the time .

riz 03-14-2019 05:26 PM

Unless you live a stupid state like California....... remove it all.

Bimus 03-14-2019 06:26 PM

A working emergency brake is a must have to me .

UATahoe 03-14-2019 07:56 PM

No inspections here in Alabama so no worries there. I will be honest, at 37, I have never once used an E-brake. Lol. Well, once actually when launching a boat. Since it’s going to be inop anyways, I think I will just yank it all out and clean things up. Thanks for the input guys.

sweetk30 03-14-2019 08:28 PM

lots of no inspection states if you get in a motor vehicle accident they check your vehicle to see if it was at fault for defects or lack of maintenance . i would check to see if this could be a violation gosh forbid you ever had a problem .

UATahoe 03-14-2019 08:36 PM

Totally understand. I mean it will be inoperable regardless of whether or not I remove everything since the rear calipers don’t have ebrake provisions. That’s a good point though to check on that.

Keith Seymore 03-14-2019 09:48 PM

Haven't had one on my Chevelle for 20 years (strip only; about 10-20 miles per year on the street). I removed it because the cable was in the way during trans swaps and maintenence activities (four inch exhaust doesn't allow for much room, either).

I pulled the ebrake off the car during my time in Arizona. Our there, I didn't have any garage space for working (it was used for storage) so I had the car up in the air in the driveway working on it.

I didn't realize, but while I was under the car my next door neighbor stopped by and was quietly watching. Imagine my surprise when, dressed in my dirty coveralls, I came rolling out from under the car with the ebrake cables and links in hand.

Immediately, I said: "...only ONE leftover part!!".

He responded, just as quickly: "...it doesn't look important anyway..."

I figure if I need more stopping power I'll add a chute.

K

mongocanfly 03-14-2019 09:54 PM

No need to worry about not having one...Alabama couldnt care less....unless they can tax it...
I have no clue when the last time I used mine was...if ever....now on a manual trans it's a little different.....

bigdaddy4x4 03-14-2019 10:41 PM

I removed the parking brake on my 77 4x4 and added disc brakes to the rear I thought about usein a brake micro lock . but have not .got one . I have had my dog hit the tcase shift handle when running 60mph and knock in to netural and the same thing can happen anytime when parked. the shift lever can be hit by my dog or worse one of the grandkids and it could just roll off and hit anything not good.

UATahoe 03-14-2019 11:03 PM

Lol awesome story Keith. Definitely think it’s the way for me to go. Appreciate all the feedback guys. I’m going to go ahead and take everything out. Losing the ebrake pedal will give me a little more clearance around the kick panel speakers too. Time to make one big push and get this LS project back on the road.

I hear you Mongo on the tax. Really looking forward to this new gas tax. Guess we are finally catching up to some of the other states.

SunSoaked 03-15-2019 09:45 AM

The aerodynamic drag of squarebody trucks usually negates the need for emergency brakes. :blz:

rpmerf 03-15-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8487107)
in my rust belt living we are afraid to use them in fear they will be FROZEN on and not release unless you use them all the time .

"Don't use the emergency brake. If you use the emergency brake, you are in charge of fixing it"

layinrocker65 03-15-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riz (Post 8487120)
Unless you live a stupid state like California....... remove it all.

There aren’t vehicle inspections in CA so it wouldn’t be a big deal. I bet most states are like CA though where it requires vehicles to have a parking/emergency brake to be maintained in good working order.

sweetk30 03-15-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmerf (Post 8487566)
"Don't use the emergency brake. If you use the emergency brake, you are in charge of fixing it"

ny state law for vehicle inspection test each year . you the inspector have to test its operation and if it holds the vehicle .

Pontiac1976 03-16-2019 01:42 PM

Just a side note. They help take the stress of the trans when parked on hills & keep the shift linkage stripping or have to adjusting more often.
I run with and with out. But after parking on any slops try to in shift leaver would make the shift linkage slip or strip and need tighten more often.
Or drive around to find flat spot parking. lol

Wgesnerjr 03-17-2019 07:06 AM

If you want to keep the e-brake and lose the pedal, why not install an electric brake?

https://www.amazon.com/Stopp-Button-.../dp/B00QL3JKKQ

expensive but would clean up the pedal area.

these are also on newer cars and SUV that are hitting the yards now. I bet one could be adapted way cheaper. our 2014 impala has this set up.

mongocanfly 03-17-2019 10:58 AM

he switched to wildwood brakes..that have no e-brake provision....
I would look into a linelock type system if I needed a e-brake in this situation...

hatzie 03-17-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8488861)
he switched to wildwood brakes..that have no e-brake provision....
I would look into a linelock type system if I needed a e-brake in this situation...

Or a driveshaft/pinion mount E-Brake. Some of the P series had a drum brake on the transmission output yoke and a backer with shoes on the transmission.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Driv...=4288&bih=2275

AussieinNC 03-17-2019 06:28 PM

Not sure why you are electing to use Willwood calipers without eBrake....

Willwood make eBrake style calipers for just about any application....

I see you are in Alabama...no inspections yep...but think about resale to a new owner that lives in a state where mechanical inspections are in force...

Just my humble opinion sir....

:chevy::chevy::chevy:

UATahoe 03-17-2019 07:03 PM

The rear conversion brackets are meant to be used with D52 calipers. Wilwood doesn’t offer an ebrake on that caliper. I didn’t mean for this to turn in to an ebrake debate honestly so I apologize about that. I was mainly angling towards making sure nothing else is adversely affected by removing the pedal. Appreciate all of the feedback!

hatzie 03-17-2019 07:11 PM

You loose your parking brake. Up to you whether that matters.
The possibility of insurance problems and possible imperial entanglements have already been mentioned. Bad enough to get them to cover what they say in writing that they will I don't like giving them any excuses but we're all adults here. Ya makes ya choices and ya takes ya lumps...

kalbert 03-18-2019 07:31 PM

It's a parking brake, not emergency brake. You'll never apply enough force to stop in an "emergency". It'll hold the vehicle in place on a hill though. Like putting a boat in, parking on a grade, etc. Don't rely on the parking pawl or engine to hold you.

sweetk30 03-18-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalbert (Post 8489907)
It's a parking brake, not emergency brake. You'll never apply enough force to stop in an "emergency". It'll hold the vehicle in place on a hill though. Like putting a boat in, parking on a grade, etc. Don't rely on the parking pawl or engine to hold you.

i would trust our older vehicles for e-brake over to days wimpy crap that most call a e-brake . . .