The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Combo valve or manual prop and resiual valves? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=800692)

skip99 02-04-2020 12:42 PM

Combo valve or manual prop and resiual valves?

I installed a 4 wheel disc setup on 51 truck, i have a new combo valve that i need to swap for a disc disc, but my question is , should i use the brass combo valve?( it looks ok and has a bracket to mount under mc, looks stock) or should i get 2 2lb residual valves and a prop valve for the rear, ?

Update, when i look at the wilwood adjustable prop valve, just about everything i read says no residual valves needed if mc is on fire wall,

The Rocknrod 02-04-2020 02:15 PM

Re: Combo valve or manual prop and resiual valves?

Quote:

Originally Posted by skip99 (Post 8672388)
I installed a 4 wheel disc setup on 51 truck, i have a new combo valve that i need to swap for a disc disc, but my question is , should i use the brass combo valve?( it looks ok and has a bracket to mount under mc, looks stock) or should i get 2 2lb residual valves and a prop valve for the rear, ?

Where is your master cylinder mounted?

skip99 02-04-2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8672452)
Where is your master cylinder mounted?

Firewall

mongocanfly 02-04-2020 08:22 PM

is your master cyl for disc/disc or disc /drum?...ive seen where some people have issues , and a disc/drum master may not have enough fluid to operate the rear disc brakes properly after you swap from drum to disc

skip99 02-04-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8672695)
is your master cyl for disc/disc or disc /drum?...ive seen where some people have issues , and a disc/drum master may not have enough fluid to operate the rear disc brakes properly after you swap from drum to disc

One side is bigger, but i dont think that matters, you can literally pump the brakes 20-30 times before it would drain either side...

mongocanfly 02-04-2020 09:14 PM

its not reservoir size that the issue..its the amount of fluid movement due to piston size that causes some people problems
you may not have any issues though

LS short box 02-05-2020 06:19 PM

I've done a number of disc/disc swaps with the master cylinder on the fire wall. Mostly using C5 Corvette calipers and rotors front and back. I always use the Wilwood adjustable prop valve in the rear. After a few brake stops to adjust I haven't touch them since. Never used a residual valve in any of the projects.

The Rocknrod 02-05-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS short box (Post 8673249)
I've done a number of disc/disc swaps with the master cylinder on the fire wall. Mostly using C5 Corvette calipers and rotors front and back. I always use the Wilwood adjustable prop valve in the rear. After a few brake stops to adjust I haven't touch them since. Never used a residual valve in any of the projects.

Same here.