The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ever partner up on a truck build? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810477)

CG 08-12-2020 11:17 PM

Ever partner up on a truck build?

Me and a buddy have kicked it around. Between the both of us we have the parts and skills to put together a truck to sell. Just curious if anyone has ever done something like this. Build one to flip.

68bowtie 08-12-2020 11:56 PM

Re: Ever partner up on a truck build?

Sounds like way more fun than doing it alone!

toolboxchev 08-13-2020 12:33 AM

Im in. lets hear how this goes.

special-K 08-13-2020 06:57 AM

I believe this is what Flashed is doing with a couple friends. I've never done a shared build before, but have helped friends with theirs. Since I have become inactive in my own truck restorations for so long, I am satisfying my need by throwing in with others on theirs quite a bit. It's really hard to come here and watch what others are doing when I was doing the same for many years beginning with back when it was rare to see anyone doing it. I'm such a has-been :whine:. I keep the faith and mainly keep the trucks and parts. I hope things can change soon. I ain't gittin' no younger :cool:. I also get satisfaction now out of restoring parts. Restoration is in my blood!

CG 08-13-2020 05:25 PM

We talked it over for quite awhile today. We figured we would be in to the deal at "least" 12k total. Parts, supplies, discounted labor (heh), and after a ton of work might clear three grandish to split in half when all was said and done. I would be better off selling said parts, and he would be better off getting paid shop rates from people he has waiting in line. So it was a quick fun thought, but fizzled =)

flashed 08-13-2020 06:17 PM

I am building my truck with help from friends , but mine is a keeper . Im also helping these friends with their builds as well . I had a Partner I was planning to build a few trucks with to sell but that partnership ended and I just sold off those trucks .

special-K 08-14-2020 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8791573)
We talked it over for quite awhile today. We figured we would be in to the deal at "least" 12k total. Parts, supplies, discounted labor (heh), and after a ton of work might clear three grandish to split in half when all was said and done. I would be better off selling said parts, and he would be better off getting paid shop rates from people he has waiting in line. So it was a quick fun thought, but fizzled =)

I didn't consider it was for the money. If you two want to make money go halves on flipping. Find lower than average priced vehicles (good deals), do very little if anything to them, and sell for more. No labor invested, just money, get more money back. Look at banks. All they do is make money with money without producing a product

j_cst_10 08-14-2020 09:49 AM

I have done a shared build with my buddy. It has worked out thus far! He doesn't have any kids and I have 2 younger ones so he comes over, we drink beer and have an excuse to hang out... The vehicle is at my house which is convenient.

We split part costs so it's like getting speed parts 50% off haha. I told him from the get go if the project stalls or he wants out I would buy him out or he could buy me out so we work on it until we don't want to.

swb4me 08-14-2020 12:31 PM

My brother and I have partnered on many old car/trucks for years. He buys the parts and I do the work. After we sell the car/truck, we split the profits. We also just flip some cars/trucks. It's a great hobby to share with my brother, but I'd be a little worried about doing it with just anyone.

siggyfreud 08-14-2020 01:18 PM

Just have to do what a lot of the classic car dealers do, which is take something that runs okay, and make it LOOK like it's in fantastic shape. Fresh chrome, a cheap paint job, double the price, and list it.

Sadly, doing the job the right way rarely will lead to much profit, unless you're doing a build specifically for someone who is paying you to do it.