The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Handles (passenger side) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=812412)

CJ2A 09-25-2020 12:18 AM

Handles (passenger side)

I am currently getting a 1971 K20 to be a comfortable daily driver. The PU has a little lift and the wife if 5’3”-ish. I do not like the weight of people getting in the pickup on the passenger side being supported by the passenger door. The wife might be a fly weight but my buddies are not!

Since the passenger does not have a steering wheel to grab what have you offered them ?

gmc684x4 09-25-2020 12:49 AM

Re: Handles (passenger side)

You can add a nerf bar for a step
I find they help me with my broken leg get in and out

Richard 09-25-2020 01:05 AM

If you want to spend some money. There is an Amp Research Power step that can be modified to use on the truck. Drops about 8" Nice thing is it tucks up under the rocker.

ohboy321 09-25-2020 05:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My wife is 5 foot nothing and I carry a small stool to help her climb in. I grab the steering wheel and use it to help me hop in.

There is a local guy with a Blazer that has a set of GM steps pictured below that look pretty nice. I would like to have set myself....anyone know the GM part number? (picture from Period Correct Accessories thread)

dennislbrooks 09-25-2020 05:12 AM

Dang it is early for a couple of you guys. 5 AM here. We are older at my household so I use a stool for wife but those steps shown could be made. If the stool is not available I use the lions claw grip to help her in. She is 5' 8".

Rods 09-25-2020 06:45 AM

Look at these

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=804445

special-K 09-25-2020 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Even with a step the passenger needs something to grab onto. That's what I took this thread to be asking about. You can put a grab handle on the windshield post. The 88-98s have one there.

This is just one example. I think I saved that one for an option to mount exterior on the b-column. It might fit the a-column, but search stainless marine grab handles and you'll find a variety. The big glovebox door doesn't allow for what we used to call a chicken bar on the dash. In the '69 W200 Power Wagon I had I mounted a chrome bar, from Cepek, across the dash in front of the passenger. Thet could use it for climbing in but also something to hang onto when bouncing around off road, going off camber, and such. If you could find one that would span the glovebox door mounted high enough and sticking out far enough to allow the GBD to open, that would be ideal.

71blksuper4x4 09-25-2020 01:44 PM

I just bought a pair of GM grab handles off a square body C50 last weekend. $5. I plan to bolt them to my a-pillars in my crew cab after a blasting and painting them. Trevor

ohboy321 09-25-2020 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8813397)
Even with a step the passenger needs something to grab onto. That's what I took this thread to be asking about. You can put a grab handle on the windshield post. The 88-98s have one there.

I guess we did get off track a bit...sorry about that. We have newer vehicles with what are sometimes referred to as "oh sh!t" handles, and I use them all the time not only to help me get in the vehicle but just to give my arm something to do.

Years ago when I was much younger I put a 4" lift in my 85 Jeep CJ, added 36" Dick Cepek mudders, and then removed the side steps because it looked cool...lol. My how things have changed with age.