The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Which valve cover gasket to go with? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=813093)

cwcarpenter98 10-11-2020 10:08 PM

Which valve cover gasket to go with?

I noticed a fairly decent passenger side valve cover leak on the 283 in my 63 a couple days ago. I put cork gaskets on it last time, but that was over 2 years ago now.

My question is if I should go with a cork set again, or if I should go with the FEL-PRO VS12869T. That's their Permadry gasket that's about $25, so I don't know if I should spend the extra dough if it'll leak after 2 years like the cork one did. If the gasket is worth it, I don't mind spending the extra dollars

AcampoDave 10-11-2020 11:41 PM

Re: Which valve cover gasket to go with?

I use cork, but also Permatex black on both sides. I clean both surfaces with acetone first and then bolt them down and let it cure for 24 hours. They stick down hard enough that I bet I could remove the bolts and they still wouldnt leak.

cwcarpenter98 10-11-2020 11:57 PM

I don't remember using any rtv on them when I put them on 2 years ago, so that might be why the leak has developed so soon. Thanks for the suggestion.
Might have to be cheap this go around and see how long it lasts :lol:

AcampoDave 10-12-2020 12:08 AM

I dunno about cheap, by the time you buy the cork ones and add the Permatex black to the tab....

cwcarpenter98 10-12-2020 10:26 AM

Good point.

Seems to me that the price of cork gaskets has gone up since the last time I did this. Almost $20 for a cork set local. Sure you can find them online for cheaper, but by the time you add on shipping, it's almost as much as getting it local.

Anyways, if there's not really a huge advantage to get the Permadry gasket, cork and rtv will be fine with me

geezer#99 10-12-2020 11:14 AM

I used similar gaskets to the fel-pro’s You linked.
Rubber/cork composition.
On a chrome bbc valve cover.
This was back in ‘90 - ‘92.
They were an out of sight mere 40 bucks.
Best gaskets I ever used.
Had the covers off at least six times and never a leak.

Ziegelsteinfaust 10-12-2020 12:25 PM

Felpro has a blue rubber version with steel inserts.

Pricey but they can be removed a few times with out leaks.

Sevens 10-12-2020 12:28 PM

I always use the cork gaskets and apply RTV to the valve-cover side only.

In my opinion, there is no reason to put RTV between the gasket and the cylinder head...the head has been machined flat and smooth which makes for a good mating surface for the gasket. Valve covers are notorious for not having flat and/or square mating surfaces.

I've never had any issues with leaks.

Edit to add: I have taken mine off and put them back on a couple of times and still have no issues with leaks.

Dead Parrot 10-12-2020 12:42 PM

I don't remember the number but several years ago I went with a Felpro valve cover gasket recommended in several threads on this forum for my 350. Still holding up well. It was one that folks said you could remove and reuse several times. Haven't had to test that aspect but it has lasted better then the average cork replacements.

weq92f 10-12-2020 02:05 PM

I've been using the Fel-Pro blue thick multi-use w/steel shims now for a while. I've had them off and back on over and over without issue.

Hth,

-klb

hjewell2 10-12-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevens (Post 8821384)
I always use the cork gaskets and apply RTV to the valve-cover side only.

In my opinion, there is no reason to put RTV between the gasket and the cylinder head...the head has been machined flat and smooth which makes for a good mating surface for the gasket. Valve covers are notorious for not having flat and/or square mating surfaces.

I've never had any issues with leaks.

Edit to add: I have taken mine off and put them back on a couple of times and still have no issues with leaks.

The exact same thing i do and had them off a few times, and no leaks yet.

cwcarpenter98 10-12-2020 03:48 PM

Thanks y'all. I think I'm going to go with the fancier ones that have the torque limiters in it. I know, the valve cover isn't as important on the torque specs, but I'd prefer not to gorilla tighten them and bend them up since my torque wrenches are all at home. Sure, it's a couple bucks more, but I'm limited in the amount of tools and such that I have here at school versus back at home

LostMy65 04-24-2022 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought the FEL-PRO VS12869T. They are called PermaDryPlus, but the instructions aren't very good.
They have a marking saying which side is supposed to be the push rod side, but it isn't clear which side lays on the head and which side is the valve cover side.
Anyone install these before?

Tom 04-25-2022 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevens (Post 8821384)

If the valve cover isn't pushing the gasket down properly to contact the properly machined head, the straitness won't matter much....

RustyPile 04-25-2022 09:55 PM

This is an age-old problem that has plagued SBC valve covers since the V-8 first appeared in 1955. There are only 4 small 1/4" bolts attaching the cover. These 4 widely spaced bolts cannot evenly spread the clamping force over the entire area of the gasket surface. The gasket surface is not machined. Rather it is an "as cast" rough surface. Couple these factors with the contour of some of the various exhaust manifolds over the years that are routed in close proximity of the gasket, and expose the gasket to high temperatures, you have a perfect leak prone design..

Over the years, I very seldom used RTV based adhesives in conjunction with the latest gasket offered. I adhered the gasket to the valve cover with 3M weather strip adhesive, and attached the valve cover/gasket assembly using slightly longer bolts and the
"re-enforcement tabs" in this link.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdm-pce312-1001

dagnabbitt 04-27-2022 03:51 PM

My mechanic friend uses weatherstripping glue for valve gaskets. I was skeptical but it works.

RustyPile 04-27-2022 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagnabbitt (Post 9072186)
My mechanic friend uses weatherstripping glue for valve gaskets. I was skeptical but it works.

Dave, next time you see your mechanic friend, ask him if he ever heard of gorilla snot.. ;)