The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tirn Signal Switch W Red Hazard Button (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=843250)

J&J67C10 03-25-2023 03:15 PM

Tirn Signal Switch W Red Hazard Button

Hello all, I'm in the process of replacing the turn signal switch on my 67 C10. The column in the truck is not original as it started life as a 4 speed and some where along the way it had a TH 400 and an automatic column installed. The turn signal switch in the column has the red hazard button on it. I'm not having any luck finding info on replacing this style switch. Does anyone have any insight on replacing this style of turn signal switch?

Thanks in advance.

Warrens69GMC 03-25-2023 04:14 PM

Re: Tirn Signal Switch W Red Hazard Button

A picture helps.

FirstOwner69 03-25-2023 05:12 PM

Try this.
https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...s/1997965.html

68 C10 Driver 03-25-2023 10:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My 68 has a metal silver flasher (hazard) switch which was original to the truck. Is there a way you can switch out the switch for the one with the silver metal flasher switch? I have an old switch I can send you to do a test fit...

J&J67C10 03-26-2023 07:50 PM

Well I kept at it and got the switch out. Had to take more apart than I was expecting but don't know how else it would have come apart. I have a new switch on the way and hope to have it back in next weekend.

At least this way everthing will be cleaned up and back in shape before it goes back together. Thanks for the help and the offer.

special-K 03-27-2023 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 (Post 9190265)

That's good to know the original style turn signal switch is reproduced. Does this mean no flat to horse shoe adapter harness is required?
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 C10 Driver (Post 9190346)
My 68 has a metal silver flasher (hazard) switch which was original to the truck. Is there a way you can switch out the switch for the one with the silver metal flasher switch? I have an old switch I can send you to do a test fit...

That's not original. Yours would have been red like all 67-72s w/o tilt

J&J67C10 03-27-2023 07:25 AM

Yes this switch appears to have the original curved connector no adapter needed. We'll see when it arrives. Why is it these little projects always turn into big projects lol.

special-K 03-27-2023 08:04 AM

If I knew the answer to that question I'd be famous for cracking an age old mystery :lol:

I do believe I know why so many turn signal switches need replaced due to split innards.

The steering gets loose enough with age and the steering wheel has a lot of slop, requiring constant correction. When working the wheel to keep it straight while using the turn signals they keep clicking off, so the driver holds the lever in position causing the innards to split. It's a common problem

Accelo 03-30-2023 12:50 PM

My tilt steering column has the red, removable, hazard switch. There is a small screw in the center that has to be removed to detach the hazard knob.
Cheers

70shortfleet 04-01-2023 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accelo (Post 9191760)
My tilt steering column has the red, removable, hazard switch. There is a small screw in the center that has to be removed to detach the hazard knob.
Cheers

Can you post a picture of the red hazard knob? I've never seen a red hazard knob that could be removed with the screw in the middle, they are either black or chrome.

J&J67C10 04-01-2023 02:56 PM

Switch arrived the other day. looked real good. I got every thing back together this morning,wasn't bad at all to replace. Got everything back in order and ready to plug the new switch in and no go. I think it took longer fiddling with trying to connect the new switch than putting everything else together. It just wont go together and snap. It appears the new connecter is about .020 in. thicker than the original. So i'm gonna try to reuse the original.

Does anyone know if there is a tool for removing the terminals from the connector without wrecking them? I got the old one apart with a small screwdriver but don't want to risk damaging the new switch wire terminals.

J&J67C10 04-02-2023 02:42 PM

Yes there appears to be a tool for that. No i dont need it, I made a tool with a couple of safety pins, it wasn't ideal but got the job done with minimal bloodshed:lol:. The switch is in and everything is working now on to the next item on the list.