The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hidden Ignition Kill switch install - Best wire to put the switch on? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=844094)

Yamariv 04-26-2023 03:21 PM

Hidden Ignition Kill switch install - Best wire to put the switch on?

Hey Guys, as I invest more and more money in restoring my truck, I've been thinking that I'd like to hide a kill switch somewhere up under the dash. I would like another layer of protection incase I have to park on the street in a shady area.

I want to put a toggle on/off switch but am not sure which wire to put it inline with, any recommendations on which wire to install it on under the dash? I'm looking for the truck to be completely dead if someone tries to turn the ignition.

Thanks!

R.O.B. 04-26-2023 05:25 PM

Re: Hidden Ignition Kill switch install - Best wire to put the switch on?

I've toyed with the idea of using the cigarette lighter. Re-wire it as a switch, and when you push it in, all is good, but when it's popped out, no power.

RustyPile 04-26-2023 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamariv (Post 9199631)
Hey Guys, as I invest more and more money in restoring my truck, I've been thinking that I'd like to hide a kill switch somewhere up under the dash. I would like another layer of protection incase I have to park on the street in a shady area.

I want to put a toggle on/off switch but am not sure which wire to put it inline with, any recommendations on which wire to install it on under the dash? I'm looking for the truck to be completely dead if someone tries to turn the ignition.

Thanks!

To disable the ignition system, install a switch in the power feed to the distributor. If you want to disable the starter, put the switch in the purple wire going to the starter.

If you want to "kill" the entire electrical system, you'll need to attach a very heavy duty switch in either of the main battery cables. Something like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qcr-55-010

yuccales 04-26-2023 07:05 PM

While I'm all for hidden kill switch's, just remember how darn easy it is to jump in and coast our trucks around the block. Without locking steering wheels and locked in park we really are vulnerable to thieves. The transit bus I drove had an interlock on it so if the back doors were left open, no way were you going to get it out of park. Would be an interesting retrofit?

Yamariv 04-26-2023 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyPile (Post 9199664)
To disable the ignition system, install a switch in the power feed to the distributor. If you want to disable the starter, put the switch in the purple wire going to the starter.

If you want to "kill" the entire electrical system, you'll need to attach a very heavy duty switch in either of the main battery cables. Something like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qcr-55-010

I think disabling the starter would be the best. Just a turn of the key and nothing would be awesome. I do know where the purple wire comes out into the engine bay but I was hoping to put the switch under the dash. Is there a wire I could put the switch in before the fuse box and get the same result of the purple wire hack under the hood?

Yamariv 04-26-2023 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuccales (Post 9199681)
While I'm all for hidden kill switch's, just remember how darn easy it is to jump in and coast our trucks around the block. Without locking steering wheels and locked in park we really are vulnerable to thieves. The transit bus I drove had an interlock on it so if the back doors were left open, no way were you going to get it out of park. Would be an interesting retrofit?

For sure, anything can be stolen but I figure one more deterrent is better than none. If a pro is actually targeting my truck, for sure they'll find a way to get it but I'm thinking more the young dumb opportunist who just jumps in thinking it would be an easy target for a joyride.

Figured putting in a switch would be real easy to do as long as I get the right wire. My truck has a nice big cushy spot in the garage so at least she's not on the street all night :)

Rust_never_sleeps 04-26-2023 09:30 PM

Personally, I'd disable the coil and let the starter crank. Letting it just crank and not start doesn't tip them off that it's switched. An old truck that takes a while to fire is pretty credible.
If you could make it fire on one cylinder like the VGG plug wire swap that'd be pretty sweet, but you'd need serious copper to switch that.

Sure, it's not going to keep them from rolling it onto a flatbed, but it'll baffle the bewildered.

RustyPile 04-26-2023 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamariv (Post 9199714)
I think disabling the starter would be the best. Just a turn of the key and nothing would be awesome. I do know where the purple wire comes out into the engine bay but I was hoping to put the switch under the dash. Is there a wire I could put the switch in before the fuse box and get the same result of the purple wire hack under the hood?

If you don't have one, go to our ELECTRICAL forum and download a color copy of the wiring diagram for your truck. It's all there. Read the schematic. You'll find that the purple wire begins it "journey" to the starter right there at the ignition switch...

Yamariv, I can't come to your truck and lay your hands on them, but if you get on your back on the floor of your truck and look under the dash, you'll find all those wires I mentioned in my first 2 suggestions.

Depending on exactly which wire and where on it's circuitous route you want the switch, you may have to remove the screws holding the fuse box in place to gain access.. But, as I said, they're all there under the dash.

rockyrivermark 04-26-2023 10:28 PM

I installed four 3way switches under dash below steering column. In plain sight.

To lock, all switches to in middle position.

First switch. Up or down horn comes on

2nd switch brings power in and out to 3rd switch
3 switch sends power to HEI
4 switch disables neutral safety.

So it’s like a combination lock. Wiring close by minus HEI and simple to do.
I coupled that with a basic alarm system with power lock actuators.

You can also do the high beam relay trick. Super easy.

RustyPile 04-26-2023 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyrivermark (Post 9199737)
I installed four 3way switches under dash below steering column. In plain sight.

To lock, all switches to in middle position.

First switch. Up or down horn comes on

2nd switch brings power in and out to 3rd switch
3 switch sends power to HEI
4 switch disables neutral safety.

So it’s like a combination lock. Wiring close by minus HEI and simple to do.
I coupled that with a basic alarm system with power lock actuators.

You can also do the high beam relay trick. Super easy.

It's all your business and certainly none of mine... But the whole world now knows the combination to your "lock"....

kwmech 04-26-2023 11:36 PM

To kill the engine you can also ground the tach lead from the coil be it an HEI or points

67 twins 04-27-2023 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 9199753)
To kill the engine you can also ground the tach lead from the coil be it an HEI or points

This is also the only thing mentioned in this thread that would stop someone from stealing it with nothing more than a 4 feet piece of wire & a screwdriver. Or just the wire if a manual transmission. Of course the only additional thing one would have to do to defeat this is to rip the tach wire off the coil.

Grumpy old man 04-27-2023 07:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just drive a 67 with the 3 on the tree and a hand brake , They'll never get it out of your driveway ! :lol:

yuccales 04-27-2023 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 9199775)
Just drive a 67 with the 3 on the tree and a hand brake , They'll never get it out of your driveway ! :lol:

That's a fact! :lol:

Accelo 04-27-2023 09:04 AM

I know you are considering a stock truck. I agree something is better than nothing.
I have a LS conversion and aftermarket air.
The Air no longer uses the blower switch as the fan speed is on a slide.
I disrupted the power to the ECM with the fan switch.
Nice thing is is looks all stock.

Ya, the world know knows my secret. But what the heck, someone, unknown to me, filed my taxes this year. They had to know a lot. Good news it the IRS caught it before payment was made. It was a hassle to affirm my identity, and I had to file paper taxes this year. Not as bad had the IRS not caught it. Did you know the IRS allows you to have a pin. I recommend everyone get a pin and use it. Just like a kill switch, it keeps them out.

BTW, the "three on the tree" is likely a better deterrent!
Cheers

MARKDTN 04-27-2023 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 9199753)

I like this too. You really have to look to find it. With the air cleaner on it's hard to see the coil terminals anyway. Crank and crank to your hearts content and it won't start.

HotWheelsFan 04-27-2023 11:15 AM

Yes, grounding the distributor coil is better than an open circuit. The easiest way to keep the old trucks running is a wire from the battery to the coil, grounding coil or tach lead will prohibit ignition spark to engine.

Fuel cut off is also a decent deterrent.

Bob

elguadas 04-28-2023 11:26 AM

I like RustyPile and Rust_Never_Sleeps suggestion. I recently installed a kill switch to my 71 C10. It's an easy task.

Yamariv 04-28-2023 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elguadas (Post 9200104)
I like RustyPile and Rust_Never_Sleeps suggestion. I recently installed a kill switch to my 71 C10. It's an easy task.

Where did you end up putting yours?

elguadas 04-28-2023 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamariv (Post 9200106)
Where did you end up putting yours?

I placed it in a hidden corner inside the glove box. The switch came with a black rubber cover that kind of blends in.

67C10Step 04-28-2023 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elguadas (Post 9200111)
I placed it in a hidden corner inside the glove box. The switch came with a black rubber cover that kind of blends in.

I think he means on what wire. I've been following this thread closely as I have two trips to make in June/July and having a truck still there when I get back to it is high on my list.

elguadas 04-28-2023 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 9200123)
I think he means on what wire. I've been following this thread closely as I have two trips to make in June/July and having a truck still there when I get back to it is high on my list.

Oh, I see.

I connected the kill switch wires in between the pinkish (some call it purple) wire and the two yellow ones (one goes to the starter and the other to the distributor coil).

See picture (Not mine. Credits to the creator)

Hope this helps

67C10Step 04-28-2023 02:14 PM

Thank you. Although mine has the two anti-theft devices grumpy old man indicated, I plan to install some sort of back up. Since I have converted mine to HEI it may be the simple ground the tach lead.

HO455 04-28-2023 04:05 PM

Here's some more ideas.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590462

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=696808

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=474293

And some these links have links also.

72SB 04-29-2023 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In addition to a hidden kill switch....also using a tire boot will at least slow them down. Cutting it off makes and ton of noise as does dragging the truck away.