View Single Post
Old 04-16-2006, 08:10 AM   #9
see ten
WTB this ad

Re: Proper Way To Remove Steering Arm????

This question comes up pretty regular and a lot of people hurt themselves and ruin a few truck parts. Remove the nuts. Get a socket that is larger than the conical washer. Place socket on the top of arm over the washer. Strike down on the socket with your BFH. The impact will shock, jar, vibrate (insert your favorite term) the conical washer right out of the steering arm. Repeat two more times for the other two washers and you are finished. This requires no heat, WD or PB. If you don't believe me go out and try it and come back and call me a liar. This is how we got the one off my K10 and I have suggested to several people on this board but I have yet to hear back from anyone who has tried it. It's the same principle as removeing a steering wheel with two hammers (no puller available). Back the nut off the steering shaft a little. Place one hammer (BFH) on the nut, strike it with another (BFH), and the steering wheel will fall off in your lap. On stubborn ones you might have to put a little pressure on the wheel with your knees but most will fall right off. Good Luck guys! And remember don't force it, get a bigger hammer!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote