View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #120
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: Dropmember in a 69 C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
With the steering wheel! All joking aside... I know you're not the biggest fan of the front track width being "too narrow"... and I too think there is a point of it being "too narrow". The track width is "narrow enough" to allow the wheels to be turned without contacting the fender and allows for 3" of compression at ride height before the tire would contact. The camber curve built into the design is much more aggressive than the stock geometry on these trucks, this too pulls the top of the tire inward as the suspension compresses, creating even more clearance.
Makes sense. One problem with a tighter arc in the control arms, however, is that you get up on the edge of the tire very quickly. That's not such a big deal when you're just dumping the bags in the parking lot, but you get hit with this same issue when you're driving... so you get lots of wear on the corner of the tire, and the bump steer can get pretty aggressive. I think the real "solution" is a complex cantilevered upper A-arm setup, that gives you the "tuck" you have with your tighter geometry, but that keeps the wheel vertical center more nearly vertical. Let me know when you get that engineered out
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote