Thread: Crewcab build
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #9
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Crewcab build

good call on the variencies, through the years, I have noticed different sheet metal from different plants fitting different.
they all had thier own sets of tooling,and though the same they were probably not exact.

the tolerances that the factory used were quite liberal too,when i was measuring for the section on my 60, I noticed that the passenger rocker was welded on a little crooked, twisted up 1/8 of an inch as compared to the driver side. made it a little tough to do the measurements to get it the saame side to side.

another thing that I experienced, we were putting modern door handles on my friends 70 firebird, we did all the measurements off the existing door handles, welded them up and started working on the linkage,it was then that we found out that the passenger doorhandle was 1/4 inch closer to the rear of the car than the driver.
we checked and double checked all the stuff that we welded up, and it was just that the passenger door skin was a little different than the driver...
from GM's standpoint, it wouldn't matter... because you can't look at both sides of the car at once!

So I always keep that stuff in mind when I measure, and measure more like 5x then cut!
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote