View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 AM   #46
hdflstf

Re: Transfer Case is Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post
So how did things turn out? I'm going to be dropping my TCs soon and had a few questions....

Looks like the bearing and seal kit you used is the same one I'm ordering (transmissionpartsplus off of ebay) and I noticed you mentioned you needed additional seals for the TC to adapter. From what I've read here on the forums it should be part #3968050. Is this correct? How many, 1 or 2?

In regards to the shims for the clearance on the bearings... are these something I may need?

Anything else I may need?

Thanks
Turned out just fine. Drives every day now.

That's the kit.

Seals, I forget the P/N but I found it on the forum here and got them at NAPA. You will need two of them. Take some pictures as you take it apart and save your old parts until you've matched them up (especially for the adapter seals - so you know you have the right ones..). Installing the adapter seals is a little tricky because they go in backwards at each end (the flat side goes in first). If you can make a driver for them great, if not, improvise.

Shims, yes you might with the new bearings. Be ready to assemble and disassembly the idler shaft a few times to get the clearance right.

Other needs - lots of cleaner for parts and case. Be sure to use thread sealer or locktite on the bolts when you put it together since most of the holes are through holes and will leak (small but annoying) if you do not seal them. Dial indicator to check the end play of the idler shaft. A strong friend to help lift the assembled case. Some grease to help hold the new needle bearings in place while you assemble the gears. Long drifts or punches to drive out bearing races (races in the idler were tough since there wasn't much edge to get the punch onto). One more item is a new seal from the adapter to the trans. Not sure what you have, mine's a TH350 so there was an o-ring I needed but it has a square cross section instead of the typically expected round cross section. Chevy dealer has them. They just gave it to me, cool, your results may vary.

I see you're in CA. I'm in northern OC and can help if you're nearby..
hdflstf is offline   Reply With Quote