View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #390
samwise68
FarmBoy.

Re: '69 GMC Build Thread.

Lukbrw - I'll keep my eyes open up here. Sometimes a good deal pops up, but mor than likely, your best bet is to watch Craigslist, especially around madison, milwaukee, etc. Of course, theres always Iola, haha.

Well, I forgot to update on here, so, time for some pics.

tranny, on my semi-permanant work bench.

Got the tranny apart, pretty simple. everything is tight, except for the brass blocking ring between the synchro and the gear. 2nd gear to be exact, where I was having problems. lol.

I don't think it's supposed to be all beveled and work, with little chunks of the brass floating around...so. thats my diagnosis.

So, I ordered a new blocking ring and a gasket kit from M&R Racing Equip. out of Waldo, Wis. Specializing in rebuilding 3 and 4 speed Saginaw's and Muncie's for dirt trackers. Yeah, who knew?

So, those 2 parts should be here thursday. $30 including shipping and COD. Now I just gotta get a hold of Napa, and make sure they have the input shaft needle bearings (Figured while I have it apart, might as well make sure thats not an issue, since there was some slop in the shaft). So, that'll be about another $10.

Then today I'm gonna pull the bellhousing, since everything else is out, and make sure the pilot bearing didn't get dinged up when we stabbed the tranny back in this winter when we replaced the clutch. My dad has a feeling that the pilot bearing may have been going out, which could have lead to the input shaft bearings starting to go, followed by the synchro, or something like that. So, cheap insurance, I suppose. Just gotta drop the starter, and a few bolts, and can check that all out.

So. thats where she sit's right now. Unfortunately I'm not going to be home this weekend, so she has to wait til next week to get back together and on the road. My family and I are leaving Friday morning to go to Iowa for my sisters graduation from Cornell College, along with helping her move out of her dorm. So, I'll be in and around Mount Vernon, Iowa, most of the weekend. haha.

Alright, I'll keep you all posted. I can't wait to get back on the road - I miss driving the 'er. Besides, theres a pretty girl who wants to learn how to drive three on the tree, and who am I to deny her that?

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote