View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #145
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

First off, Happy Independence Day everyone. It's been beautiful weather here lately and I've enjoyed being able to work outside without hot, humid sweltering days.

Now for a Jimmy update. I'm very conflicted right now with how I feel. On one hand, I got it running, and actually drove it today around the farm where I'm working on it. It has forward and reverse, but still needs some fluids added to get the power steering working and the tranny shifting better. I added what I had, just need to get some more.

On the other hand, I just can't get any oil pressure. Here's the situation: I got the oil pan off (had to slide the cross member forward), pulled the pump and checked it all out. There is nothing wrong with it. Now I no there was no flow before because after it had been running I pulled the oil filter and it was dry. I used my priming tool after that and could not get flow up to the heads, but apparently it flowed to the filter, because when I checked it today, it was full. I double checked everything. Front main bearing was ok, so it had to be getting some flow.

Here's my theory: Something clogged the port from the pump to the filter, but there is a separate port to the crank bearings. This is why it didn't wipe everything and the lifters were not clacking away. The bearing clearances are probably too loose and therefore, there just isn't much pressure. I let it idle and warm up with a valve cover off and never noticed any oil squirting from the push rods. When I reved it up though, oil was spattering the firewall and heater box, etc. so it has to be getting some oil.

The conclusion is that it runs fine, realistically needs a rebuild, but it's not now, nor ever will be, a daily driver with this engine. So skrew it, run it till it dies. If it starts clattering or hammering away, it'll be time to shut her down and swap another engine. Lessons learned. I could have rebuilt my other engine. I would have spent more, but would have had a better engine. But it's not a total loss, because it does run, it's a 4 bolt main block, it's a good useable core. I learned how to rebuild a rochester quadrojet, had to figure out problems with just about every major system, and I am satisfied, if not thrilled with the results. It's experience you just can't get any other way.

So for now, I'll finish getting the cross member bolted back in, fix the tranny kickdown and dip stick, hook up the exhaust, add some fluids and drive it around some. I'll bring it home so I can blast it with my pressure washer. I still need to try 4wd yet. The brakes seem to be working fine, so that's good. The rear springs are really squatting down, I don't like that. I'll eventually have to do something about the rusted floor, don't really care about the rest. I might get a posi for the rear. I bought one with gears for my C-10, then the junkyard called the other day that they got another axle out for me with a posi.

So guys, I know a few of you have been following this. What do you think? Was it worth it? After the short list of maintenance items above is done, what would you do next?
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote