View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #156
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
Make sure you didn't wipe a bearing, ... and a bandaid for lower oil pressure is thicker oil, 20w50 or straight 50 if in the warmer months.
I checked the front main, which was ok, but didn't check the rods. I figured they were not great to begin with. I'll run it like it is 'till I notice rod knock or other symptoms. As for the oil weight, I'm not sure heavier is better in this case.

Here's why, if I run lighter oil that flows easier, it should increase actual flow to the bearings, and should also be better in an engine with gunk build up in pushrods and lifters, etc. If I run heavier oil, the pressure will increase at the gage due to back pressure against the bearings, etc. It looks better at the gage, but may not be better lubrication. For now, I started with 5w-30 and I'll be treating it to clean the engine out some. When or if the oil starts looking cleaner after a few changes, I'll bump it up to 10w-40, or maybe 50. It sounds great, starts and idles like a champ, no knocks or clacking, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
An easy way to test the 4wd is to put it in 4wd then cut the wheels all the way to one side. You should feel the truck not want to go and lurch as you apply throttle.
Thanks, I am pretty sure everything is good. I shifted it through all the different points and it drove each time, except neutral of course. I'm certain the transfer case is fine, oh yeah, I need to check the oil in that too. Anyway, I did feel the normal front axle lurch while turning. I guess the only thing I'm unsure of is whether both hubs are locking in. Is there a way to test this? Maybe jack up the front axle and turn the wheels by hand. Will the other wheel spin if it's not locked? Does it spin same direction if it has a posi only and reverse for open? If one wheel is in the air and the hub is open, will it spin freely? Then not spin when locked, cause the other wheel is on the ground and the transfer case is engaged?

Just throwing ideas out there. All my other 4wd trucks have been auto hubs, shift on the fly, etc. This is my first old school 4wd.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote