Thread: 5-speed tranny
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 05:58 PM   #27
70rs/ss

Re: 5-speed tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
I just started a new post to get replies from people with a Gear Vendors unit, which I've just ordered. I kept getting all these mixed opinions with the swap to a 5 speed from my SM465. I gave up and decided to shell out the cash for the GV. I should have it in less than a week. I'll reply back and let you know how the install goes. Technically, it gives you the same O/D as the other 5-speeds, with the advantage of having a total of 7 gears (you can't split the granny gear). So basically, I'll be at around 2300 RPM at 70 MPH... or I can red line at 175 MPH!!

Yeah, but!! I hate to say this, especially since you already ordered it, but, the SM465 is a no shifting mutha (non-synchronised, hard shifting, and no down shifts without grinding), so I doubt you'll be able to get a total of 8 gearshifts out of it (1-4 + 1-4OD). Man I wish I would have seen your posts about a 5-speed. TKO500's in complete kits with everything you need for a swap run very close to what you paid for the GV unit??? The benefit of a TKO500 is that it is s modern Standard trans that shift nice and smooth and is bullet proof. Classic 5 speed has them, check out the link, mind you this is a super comprehensive "kit" with everything, other kits are less $$$ but you need to get other parts and unless you have them it is cheaper to buy it all at once. Anyways here's the kit:

http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/El...ck-Tremec.aspx

Man oh man, I just found a site with the info to swap a GM upgraded (strength wise) 5-speed into our trucks useing the stock bell housing, clutch etc, etc and save a ton o-cash!! This may be the best way to get a 5-speed that'll handle the power, better than the t-5/nv3500 and way more reasonable than the tko kit above!! Check it out:

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/6...truck_5sp.html
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote